Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 109
Posts: 109   Pages: 11   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 51012 times and has 108 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2 technical project details

Dear World Community Grid member,

Thank you for your interest and contributions to The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2 (CEP2).  Your support for this unique quantum chemistry project is key to our research to improve plastic solar cell materials.

CEP2 is a quite special cyberinfrastructure approach and differs in some ways from other World Community Grid projects - that's why you have to opt-in.  Here are a few of the reasons:

* run time requirements per work unit vary notably and range from about 2-12h
* temporary disk space requirement (max. 2GB)
* memory requirement is larger than other projects
* data transfer volume (about 20-80MB upload per work unit, one time download of 200MB) are higher than usual
* CEP2 is the first WCG project to use an external server - your results are directly uploaded to Harvard for optimum efficiency

Please note that it is recommended to leave application in memory (LAIM) while running this project.

Thank you again for being a part of this exciting cutting edge research endeavor.  Best wishes from Cambridge, MA.

Yours,

Harvard Team
[Jun 30, 2010 7:10:06 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2 technical project details

It is an honour for me to support your project...!!! smile

Let's hope, that this phase will bring a break-through in plastic solar cells...!!! dancing
[Jun 30, 2010 7:49:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nasher
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

waiting for the windows work units then i will be running them
----------------------------------------

[Jun 30, 2010 10:12:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
I need a bath
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

The Harvard servers seem to be having trouble with the large files.

[Jun 30, 2010 10:34:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

The server is up again! Thanks for your patience

The Clean Energy Project team.
[Jul 1, 2010 12:15:51 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BigMike
Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

If I read the detailed information on CEP2 correctly, it said there would be restrictions on which computers would be eligible to receive the new WU's, based on CPU speed and network speed.

I'm a bit concerned about the network speed "filter". I have a connection that regularly hits 1.5GB/s, but my BOINC network speed stats are a LOT lower than that. This is not due to my connection or my machine; it's because various project servers can only feed things to me at a much lower speed.

I wouldn't want to be left out of CEP2 because my network stats are artificially low. straight face

=Mike
Don't believe everything you think.
[Jul 2, 2010 9:16:42 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Yup, you got a good point there, the client only maintains one set of network stats of all projects combined :(

My exclusive WCG bwdown is slipping. The 100MB CEP app file helped it to get pumped up to 400kBps, but now after 120 or so 1MB downloads is not reaching the maximum... down to 197kBps. The biggest negative effect is that the long uploads lead to work requests taking place while doing so, which effects performance. I've thought of caching up to 2 days, reduce the cache value to stop work requests, and when low, temp stop other active project work fetch option and then up the cache again. It's a pain for sure if sitting on that 128kBps threshold... so for now, not to miss out, do CEP2 only. :D
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Jul 2, 2010 11:00:35 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:

I have a connection that regularly hits 1.5GB/s
Wow! that's much, maybe you meant 1.5 MBytes? Unless you are in a backbone node and then this huge bandwidth is shared by all traffic passing through. smile
I wouldn't want to be left out of CEP2 because my network stats are artificially low.
First it is not artificial, it's based on real life measurements. What matters here is not how fast it could go, it is how fast it is really going. If it takes too long to return a xx MB file to Harvard it is not only your client which will lose one port for that time, it will be the same at the other end and the server's upload capacity will be affected.
Edit: I forgot this one:
it said there would be restrictions on which computers would be eligible to receive the new WU's, based on CPU speed...
There is no restriction based on CPU speed.
Team--> Decrypthon -->Statistics/Join -->Thread
[Edit 1 times, last edit by JmBoullier at Jul 2, 2010 12:36:18 PM]
[Jul 2, 2010 12:13:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
knreed
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

I wouldn't want to be left out of CEP2 because my network stats are artificially low. straight face

The measurements aren't perfect, but they do give us a sense of who is on a faster connection vs who is on a slower connection. This project has such unusually large data transfer requirements, it was necessary to make sure that people who are on slow connections cannot find themselves, for example, trying to transfer a 50MB file on a 56k modem.

An example of how someone could get work from cep2 without necessarily realizing the requirements is if they have set their profile to only get work for dddt2 but they have also checked the 'send other' box.
[Jul 2, 2010 6:29:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

So is there any quick fix to get the software to re-evaluate the connection speed? I've got 8 Ubuntu 10.4 machines chewing away furiously on WU's and one that is refused due to the restriction. Same router, BOINC version, Linux and same 20/2 MB D/U connection. It works great on all the other apps. Will crunching the other apps eventually bring the value up or down?
[Jul 2, 2010 7:37:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 109   Pages: 11   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread