Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 66
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 51374 times and has 65 replies Next Thread
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
New projects announced!

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/32422.wss

Good reading!

"The University of Virginia Watershed Sustainability Project will use World Community Grid to power its "UVa Bay Game/Analytics" project, which models the effects of agricultural, commercial and industrial decisions on the Chesapeake Bay. This waterway is a vital estuary on the East Coast of the United States stretching 64,000 square miles with 11,600 miles of tidal shoreline, and home to nearly 17 million people. It will simulate and analyze the results of choices made by the sometimes-competing interests of fishermen, farmers, real estate developers, power plant designers, conservationists, forestry experts and urban planners. Better understanding the potential outcomes of complex, intersecting decisions can help society manage the watershed more effectively."

A third initiative, to be run on World Community Grid out of Brazil's Inforium Bioinformatics, in collaboration with FIOCRUZ-Minas, is seeking to cure schistosomiasis, a significant, parasite-based disease prevalent in tropical regions that is incubated and transmitted via foul water. The World Health Organization lists this disease as highly necessary to control. It kills from 11,000 to 200,000 people every year and infects about 210 million individuals in 76 countries. It takes a severe toll on undeveloped countries, causing about 1.7 million disability-adjusted life-years of burden annually. While the drug Praziquantel has been largely effective in treating the disease for more than 25 years, drug-resistant strains are of concern.

"Researchers will now seek to identify human protein targets for possible new drug treatments. They will use the World Community Grid to screen up to 13 million compounds found in the zinc.docking.org database against 180 protein structures involved with the parasite. While this may not lead to new drugs immediately, it will greatly augment the study of this disease by scientists around the world."
----------------------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF 4C/8T 3.2 GHz - 85W
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 4C/8T 2.0 GHz - 28W
Intel Z3740 4C/4T 1.8 GHz - 6W
[Sep 7, 2010 9:23:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:
Re: New projects announced!

Excellent - bring them on biggrin

[Sep 7, 2010 9:53:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dataman
Ace Cruncher
Project Badges:

Hummmm ... they have yet to roll out CEP2 to all platforms and can't keep up with the demand for DDDT2. Their proprietary version of BOINC is older than dirt. I hope WCG gets more staff with the increased workload. wink

I guess it would be too much to hope one of them is a GPU project. biggrin

cowboy

[Sep 7, 2010 10:30:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Did Ari let the cat out of the bag too early? wink
[Sep 7, 2010 10:51:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Falconet, are you "googling" for WCG-related articles all day? You were also the one that found out about Clean Water. Good job finding this news biggrin
[Sep 7, 2010 10:58:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
kateiacy
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
smile Re: New projects announced!

Exciting news! What great new projects! So much to crunch, so few rigs... tongue

And thank you, Falconet -- master slueth and ace reporter!

(This can't really be a secret if it's in an IBM *press release* and all over the Smarter Planet Facebook page.)

[Sep 8, 2010 12:31:38 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
anhhai
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

don't really know if having a bunch of new project is really a good thing or not. Having more projects will mean that our current projects will take longer to complete, unless more people join because of these project. Part of me wants us to finish some of these project first so that the result can be given to the scientist to do something good with. Then move onto another project. But part of me says, hopefully these new project will draw a lot more people to join.

[Sep 8, 2010 1:29:36 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dataman
Ace Cruncher
Project Badges:

I though Falconet's find would inspire more discourse. confused

cowboy

[Sep 8, 2010 4:07:54 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pirogue
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I hope they don't come too soon. I've got a couple more machines to add. biggrin

[Sep 8, 2010 4:14:19 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nasher
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

i would be more than happy to see more projects come out..

remember most the projects have sub phases and such that can be gone over once that section is complete so the whole project doesn't have to be done before they can get useful results.

i am slowly approaching gold on 2 projects now and waiting for the 3rd to hit windows so i am fine with another one showing up. also remember each new project normally brings some crunchers with it and helps expand out total processing power

[Sep 8, 2010 5:48:23 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread