Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 486
Posts: 486   Pages: 49   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 736072 times and has 485 replies Next Thread
rilian
Veteran Cruncher
Ukraine - we rule!
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
confused HCC with GPU

Sorry for opening "yet another GPU topic", but i did not found it in this subforum ;) and have a question

Quote from Sekerob from FightAIDS@home forum:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/...ead,27954_offset,0#257750

Unfortunately a paper showed that it was actually not a very good idea to do this on Autodock.

Note to self: Think to make a CUDA short FAQ, summarizing all the scientists and WCG replies.

HCC, projected for implementation in 2010
CEP2, maybe in a next life, if the phase 2 were big enough
HCMD2, not suitable per scientists
FAAH, NO not feasible (thus could also apply to HFCC)
HPF2, never asked. Check with Rosetta@home on the standings
DDDT2, too short to even think about it and issues enough to get it even going on CPU
RICE - can't remember but think to have read it would not gain.

Along these line, with the relevant discussion links

Any news conserning HCC GPU ?
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by rilian at Oct 26, 2010 10:24:34 AM]
[Oct 26, 2010 10:23:51 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher
Re: HCC with GPU

Seems CUDA was dropped and all cards are on OpenCL (My rigs are ready). ETA: Can't tell you or I will be singing a few octaves higher ;>)
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Oct 26, 2010 11:14:38 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rilian
Veteran Cruncher
Ukraine - we rule!
Project Badges:

Let's sing few octaves higher alltogether and maybe new and shiny GPU HCC app appear, for example, this Christmas..? :D

added this topic to watch, please post news, if any
[Oct 26, 2010 11:46:39 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
sad Re: HCC with GPU

Rillian Hi. It seems that noone wants to move their fifth point to do something in GPU support. Millions of GIGAFLOPPS are missing in stupid Milkiway or Collats. We could have finnished all WCG projects in a couple of days, if there were any support of ATI or nVIDIA cards. Shame on the developers.
[Oct 26, 2010 1:30:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello vitalidze,
For a long time, I posted that I had not heard anything from HCC. I considered this a bad sign. But the long silence has recently broken. They are continuing to write a GPU version of the program. only using OpenCL now instead of CUDA. My guess is that they are determined to have a fast GPU version for their own use and want to run it on the WCG to produce massive data files that will catch all the bugs and help validate the program. But this is their first BIG GPU program, so I think they have kept quiet to keep the munchkins from constantly asking "Are we there yet?".

There is literally no way to forecast how long it will take to complete and test enough and debug enough for us to dare run it on WCG. GPU programming has to be a completely different algorithm to take advantage of GPU instructions while avoiding methods that run at top speed on CPUs but crawl on GPUs.

So I recommend patience. I hope 2011, but if they make it by early 2012, that will let them run enough to determine all the bugs. (Actually tracking down and correcting all the bugs might even continue after HCC completes its run on WCG. Who knows?)
[Oct 26, 2010 5:32:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

lawrencehardin Hi.

You say that it will take at least one year to make a stable version of a GPU client and I am completely agree with you about it. I also participate in a GPUGRID project and the developers wanted to adopt OPENCL for new AMD Cards but they failed to do that in one year. It is a very difficult thing to do. But it worth it. The developers should do their best to complete this transformation it will make a great boost in performance and in results of our work. Millions of people are waiting for the information that can help in saving lives.

best regards.
[Oct 26, 2010 6:23:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TimAndHedy
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

There is literally no way to forecast how long it will take to complete and test enough and debug...

I've tried that reply for my projects, it never works.

Somewhere there is a target date, but I guess they will let us know.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by TimAndHedy at Oct 27, 2010 3:04:58 AM]
[Oct 27, 2010 2:24:03 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

devilish
We seem to have worked for similar managers. biggrin

Interpreting my "I hope 2011" means the target date is in 2011, and early enough that it is unlikely to overrun into 2012. However, policy is not to make forward-looking statements (SEC-speak) about projects since we do not control them.

We will just have to wait.

sleep
Lawrence
[Oct 28, 2010 4:31:06 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Audaces Fortuna Juvat ! Vaud - Switzerland
Project Badges:

We could have finnished all WCG projects in a couple of days, if there were any support of ATI or nVIDIA cards. Shame on the developers.

I don't think so vitalidze. If scientists know what performance is available then they will taylor the project to make best use of it. If you give them 1'000 more crunching capability, no problem to make the project need it.
Fundamentally there is no limit. Certain problems will need more power ad infinitum. The trick is to define the problem and the question asked so that it can be computed and analyzed in an acceptable period of time in regard of the available crunching power.

If you take meteorological weather analysis. The most powerful supercomputers do that. And if you see mesh size for simulations we talk many kilometers. This is in inhabited regions. On the oceans it is much worse. Just bring it down to meters in 3 dimensions across all the planet and say the first 30 km of atmosphere and even a quantum supercomputer will not be enough by far. The other element is also the complexity and number of interaction that you will take into account to be computed. The mesh maybe gigantic but at each point you also can compute much more variables. This is why these problems which are similar in terms of complexity and interaction to molecular simulations will always ask for more, more, more, more.......
But they have us here who will give them more, more.... biggrin

Btw vitalidze I have to stop here I have to add another 12 core cpu.laughing

[Nov 1, 2010 10:31:37 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

We could have finnished all WCG projects in a couple of days, if there were any support of ATI or nVIDIA cards. Shame on the developers.

I don't think so vitalidze.

ОК. А couple of days is a rather optimistic forecast. But compare the performance of a typical GPU that costs 250-300 US Dollars. It will have at least 1000-1500 Gflops, and compare 250-300 dollars CPU. It will perform 40-60 Gflops(after overclock). 1 ATI 5870 has the same computing power as your 15 TOP 6 core Intels. We have a huge gap in performance and the developers of other Boinc aplications have had applied support of GPU`s.(Milkyway, Collats,GPUGRID - the performace boost is 10 times). There can be a difference in applications and their structure. The difficulty can be in it. But the developers have to take it into the consideration. The future is in GPUs and and quantum Computers, at least in the nearest future.IMHO
[Nov 3, 2010 7:54:02 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 486   Pages: 49   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread