Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6905 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
Grendel90
Advanced Cruncher
Wales, UK
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
confused Bandwidth measurement?

How often is my system tested for download bandwidth? I keep getting a message that says 14/11/2010 15:59:43|World Community Grid|Message from server: The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2 requires 128.00 kbps download bandwidth. Your computer has been measured at 124.44 kbps.

And yet when I run a speedtest I get this result -

Speed Test Results
Date 14/11/10 16:04:48
Speed Down 9720.11 Kbps ( 9.5 Mbps )
Speed Up 907.30 Kbps ( 0.9 Mbps )

Which is far in excess of what's required. Or am I missing something?
----------------------------------------

[Nov 14, 2010 4:10:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
codes
Advanced Cruncher
Re: Bandwidth measurement?

New Project Setting
It will allow you to indicate that you want want to not be limited by either the bandwidth setting or by the workunit limit.

[Nov 14, 2010 4:46:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Run The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2 without restrictions? Yes/No
I have this set to yes and I am running a CEP task on each core and I am not getting any messages regarding the bandwidth.
[Nov 14, 2010 7:26:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mikaok
Senior Cruncher
Finland
Project Badges:

Common problem. Open your BOINC work directory and from there client_state.xml. Make a copy of it and then do this: search the line that starts with <bwdown>. Between those tags is your current measured bandwidth download rate. Change it so, that it is far beyond that 128 limit.

example
<bwdown>127940.996791</bwdown>
to
<bwdown>137940.996791</bwdown>
to infinity and beyond

[Nov 14, 2010 9:59:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ingleside
Veteran Cruncher
Norway
Project Badges:

How often is my system tested for download bandwidth? I keep getting a message that says 14/11/2010 15:59:43|World Community Grid|Message from server: The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2 requires 128.00 kbps download bandwidth. Your computer has been measured at 124.44 kbps.

And yet when I run a speedtest I get this result -

Speed Test Results
Date 14/11/10 16:04:48
Speed Down 9720.11 Kbps ( 9.5 Mbps )
Speed Up 907.30 Kbps ( 0.9 Mbps )

Each and every time BOINC downloads a file, the client keeps track of the size of the file, and how much time it takes to download the file. After finished downloading, the speed is calculated as file_size / download_time. At the end, the new speed is weighted together with the old average, and this is the new average download-speed.

One of the reasons the measured download-speed is low, is that WCG on most tasks uses many small download-files, and downloading a 1 KB-file often gives less than 10 KB/s in download-speed, and these small files therefore drags-down the average.

Other reasons is that either the WCG-server, or somewhere between WCG-server and you there's something that slows-down the transfer.

You can see it as a car-analogy, there "Speedtest" is basically to put your car on a closed track, there no other cars interferes, and measure the peak speed the car can make, example 200 km/h.
A peak of 200 km/h on the other hand has little meaning if the car in it's day-to-day usage most of the time sits in so heavy traffic that it's crawling-along at 10 km/h...

Also, no cars will go instantaneously from zero to full speed, it will always take some seconds to accelerate. So, if a car starts from zero and drives 1 km with no futher stops, it will maybe use 30 seconds on this km (120 km/h).
If on the other hand a car starts from zero and drives 10 m, for so stopping and driving another 10 m and so on, the car will take much longer to drive 1 km, even if you do stop the clock for each time the car stops. So, chances are you'll use multiple minutes driving 1 km if you'll need to re-start the car every 10 m.

"I make so many mistakes. But then just think of all the mistakes I don't make, although I might."
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ingleside at Nov 15, 2010 12:20:49 AM]
[Nov 15, 2010 12:18:51 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

So folks go and post here
Speed Test The Global Broadband Speed Test
[Nov 15, 2010 12:41:15 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread