Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 15
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 18571 times and has 14 replies Next Thread
candymanbmf
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
sad Device not found in Device Manager, but appears in Results Status (RESOLVED)

Hi,

I have installed WCG on a device in December (first time user) and even though since then it has delivered results (which were not taken into account because they were overdue - which I don't have a problem with) and I can even see it under Results Status, with projects in progress, I can't see it under Device Manager. sad Why is that? confused The installation is of course older than 7 days and it has also delivered results in the past 14 days.

Thanks for your help!

PS: I also get Device installations: 1 under My Statistics tab. The funny thing is, when I click it, I see the second computer where I've installed Boinc.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by ErikaT at Jan 12, 2011 1:55:35 PM]
[Jan 6, 2011 11:03:58 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:
Re: Device not found in Device Manager, but appears in Results Status

Reduce your cache if you are not getting points because the tasks are returning too late. If the tasks are very late they may be of no use to the project.
- Boinc Manager, Advanced Preferences, Network Usage, Additional Work Buffer. Set to no more than 0.50 days.

I take it you mean you cannot see your device (computer) here,
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/device/viewDevices.do

I would be inclined to reset the project and install Boinc again if need be.
[Jan 6, 2011 11:55:32 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello candymanbmf,
When you reboot your CPU, BOINC will post a lot of startup messages under the Messages tab in the Advanced view. This will tell you how it is signed into WCG. I expect it is using a different signon than Device Manager expects.

Lawrence
[Jan 6, 2011 2:20:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
candymanbmf
Cruncher

@skgiven - I think you misunderstood me a little. I'm not complaining that my results weren't validated because they were too old, that was right, because I haven't switched it on during the holidays. My question was why is it that my laptop doesn't show up in Device manager (yes, the link you provided) while it has an older installation of the Boinc manager than the PC that does show up in that list. I have to give one additional detail: although the laptop's installation is older, I haven't returned any valid results yet. Could that be it?

@lawrencehardin I don't think I fully understand what you said. I have checked the account for both installations. When I go in Simple view and hover above the Projects icon, I see a message like "Work done by candymanbmf" on both machines. So I don't think it's because I might have two accounts or something (which I'm sure I don't). I've also checked the messages tab in advance view and I can't make much of it. Nothing stands out as a discrepancy between the two installations. Can you provide more insight?

Thanks to both for helping out a newbie! Cheers!
[Jan 7, 2011 7:24:37 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

although the laptop's installation is older, I haven't returned any valid results yet.

will not show until validated
[Jan 7, 2011 9:07:18 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
CandymanWCG
Senior Cruncher
Romania
Project Badges:

I guess we'll find out soon, then. I have two tasks at over 70% with just a couple of hours of processing left. biggrin
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world! - Albert Einstein

[Jan 7, 2011 9:57:02 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
CandymanWCG
Senior Cruncher
Romania
Project Badges:
cool Re: Device not found in Device Manager, but appears in Results Status

Well, it definitely wasn't just a couple of hours, but you were right (as was I with my suspicion): after I returned 2 valid results, I am now able to see both my machines in Device manager!

Thanks to all who replied! Cheers! smile
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world! - Albert Einstein

[Jan 7, 2011 9:12:25 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
GIBA
Ace Cruncher

I don't know if you change your account ID since you start this thread, or if you have two distincts accounts, but there are two accounts appearing here in this thread :

candymanbmf (from january 2011)

candymanWCG (from December 2010)

and just the second one appear have results returned for WCG.

I suggest check it, if applicable both accounts for you, once could be the cause of problem related.
Cheers ! GIB@ peace coffee
Join BRASIL - BRAZIL@GRID team and be very happy !
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=DF99KT5DN1

[Jan 7, 2011 10:57:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

If one renames the member account via the "My Profile", which is what C/candyman did, the posts done with the previous member name remain under that old name. New posts appear under the new ''handle'' with the points/results/time moving from old to new ''handle'', which is in this case thus CandymanWCG.

--//--
[Jan 8, 2011 2:06:30 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Sek, and you did the same? with the capitalized R in your member name your post count dropped to only 4 (at time of writing) confused
[Jan 8, 2011 2:54:37 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread