Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 26
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 22422 times and has 25 replies Next Thread
anhhai
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
not enough WU in the feeder now?

Has anyone notice a problem of not getting enough CEP2 WU's now? I have noticed that my cache doesn't always have 7 CEP2 despite it is how many WU's the profile is set for. Not sure if you all noticed but the runtime for recent WU has decreased by considerable amount (I still have some that are 12 hrs, but most finish in a little over 6 hrs or less, which is about 50%-60%% of the normal runtime). This maybe the reason why i am seeing this problem, because I don't believe the feeder has been updated to allow more WUs.
----------------------------------------

[Jan 25, 2011 2:45:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
CEP2: Not enough WU in the feeder now?

No, not noticed, but it's really timing and duration of the work for the other sciences, if running a mix. Long as that 7th task has not cleared the "Ready to Report", work fetches will be of other sciences. If cache is not set to fit 7, then too you won't have 7. Certainly what I've noticed is, that if there is room in the cache and a work fetch is done, the first priority call is for CEP2.

Now some smart people have been running CEP2+DDDT2. When the set number of work is fetched of CEP2, the client will further only ask for DDDT2, but as there is periodically no work, low feed priority, the incremental back-off increases until a task, any task finishes. Did see yesterday that the maximum CEP2 was not backfilled, but a counter running too.

At any rate, I'm not observing shortage, nor as we discussed in other thread, no reduction is processed number of CEP2's, which BTW are gradually having longer run-times again after a week+ of dropping... past few days the mean has bottomed out at 7.5 hours and is now back on 7.87

7.91847 19th
7.77700 20th
7.61555 21st
7.49850 22nd
7.57114 23rd
7.76950 24th
7.87045 25th

Lets hear from others if they do see lows to the point that caches have no work of this science to crunch. Of course, if there is no CEP2 work when called, the messages in the log would indicate that.

Notably, WCG techs said, the CEP2 share is set to ''normal'', meaning, there is work for some 45-50 CPU years daily available at any one time. We're scraping to actually complete 15.

--//--

edit: typos
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Jan 25, 2011 3:06:46 PM]
[Jan 25, 2011 2:59:19 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
anhhai
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: CEP2: Not enough WU in the feeder now?

thx Sekerob, but it is strange, because I checked this morning and 2 of my system only had 5 CEP2 WU, so I incremented my cache slowly to get an extra CEP2 WU which I was hoping to push ahead, but I didn't get a CEP2 WU.

Currently not running DDDT2, I want to let others get their badges first.

[Jan 25, 2011 3:37:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
deltavee
Ace Cruncher
Texas Hill Country
Project Badges:

Currently not running DDDT2, I want to let others get their badges first.

Thanks, anhhai. I'm crunching as fast as I can on DDDT2. I'm keeping up on CEP2 also, trying to have one WU crunching at a time on each machine. I haven't had any trouble getting CEP2 WUs.

[Jan 25, 2011 4:00:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Looks correct here.

Here's he current task list for my two computers, both set to "participate in all projects":

i7 920, 6GB RAM (WCG: 7 cores, 4 CEP)
1 +7 Clean water ("1 +7" meaning "1 active, 7 queued")
0 +2 Conquer cancer
1 +1 Muscular dystrophy
1 +2 Childhood cancer
3 +1 Proteome folding
1 +3 Clean energy

i3 540, 4GB RAM (WCG: 2 cores, 2 CEP)
0 +1 AIDS
1 +2 Conquer cancer
1 +0 Muscular dystrophy
0 +1 Proteome folding
0 +2 Clean energy

So #completed-but-not-uploaded + #active + #queued matches the number of WUs set for CEP in both cases. (My intention was that there should be no more than 4 or 2 CEP WUs actively crunching at the same time, but here seems to be no way to say that.)

But I did notice that CEP has the smallest runtime in "My Statistics", no more than a third of what the Human Proteome project gets.

Would it be beneficial to CEP and/or WCG if I excluded some of the other projects and went for more CEPs? (I'm not overly concerned about which particular project I'm crunching, as far as I can tell they are all worthy causes. But I do like the idea of clean energy.)
[Jan 25, 2011 4:31:39 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bieberj
Senior Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

I am getting CEP work units - one at a time. Sometimes I see it gets something else when CEP is already done and uploaded and acknowleged. And then the following one is a new CEP assignment - happens infrequently.
[Jan 25, 2011 4:45:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
kskjold
Senior Cruncher
Norway
Project Badges:

I have noticed that my duocore that runs clean water, cep2 and dddt2 hasn't had a cep2 since the 15th of jan.
has the clean water WU's higher priority at the time?
[Jan 25, 2011 4:46:40 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nasher
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

havent been watching the other computers but my main computer is getting them 1 at a time like the setings i have set for.. sure i would love to have a 2nd in the que but if that happened they cant be sure BOINC wont try to run both at the same time

you might want to check your settings

[Jan 25, 2011 5:48:31 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
anhhai
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

things seem to be working now, I checked the machines and they got their CEP2 WU, I guess it just took them a while.

[Jan 25, 2011 10:33:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
deltavee
Ace Cruncher
Texas Hill Country
Project Badges:

Running dry. Set on "Unlimited", but only have 4 on my 8 thread machine.

1/28/2011 6:15:37 PM World Community Grid Message from server: No work is available for The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2
1/28/2011 6:15:37 PM World Community Grid Message from server: No work is available for Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy - Phase 2

[Edit 1 times, last edit by deltavee at Jan 29, 2011 12:26:55 AM]
[Jan 28, 2011 10:25:37 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread