Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 65
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 29188 times and has 64 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
I want to do GPU research

Come on IBM guys, give it a shot. I have 2 Asus ATI HD4670 in crossfire doing mostly nothing , that's 640 stream units on idle most of the time I'm not playing 3D games or watching H.264, VC-1 or MPEG-2 (DVD) movies, OpenCL is not fully supported for ATI 4xxx but still is has some dupport besides AMD has a developer site with lots of resources in case you didn't know, but you must have know I think. There is already a no very good implementation Folding@Home GPU Client, most users don't complain but I get BSOD sooner or later and I'm tired of it after 30+ of them, and you need to manually set parameters is really not well done, so how about you give it a shot?
[Apr 28, 2011 1:06:09 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Coleslaw
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Re: I want to do GPU research

If you really want answers to this request, I would suggest doing a search in these forums and take up the heavy reading on this topic. The simple answer...they have other things to occupy their time for now.
----------------------------------------

[Apr 28, 2011 1:24:47 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

You are about #1500 in line for this. In the meantime, you can choose to load WCG and let your CPU crunch away while you are waiting.
[Apr 28, 2011 1:51:47 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Richard Mitnick
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Along with all of the WCG projects, I work on about a dozen other projects running on BOINC, and I am running on six machines, four of which are less than one year old.

The whole GPU thing is, to my mind, a mess.

It should be basically the user saying GPU yes or GPU no, and any reasonable graphics, card on on-board chip, should do it, just like any reasonably not too old CPU works.

Instead, there is a hodgepodge with specific projects only wanting specific graphics.

When I buy a machine, it is not like some crunching box; it is a fully loaded machine. I do a lot of other stuff, a lot of audio and video, plus two blogs. I do not choose a graphics processor based on crunching, I choose it based on the best that I can get within whatever is the budget. That is how most people buy machines.

I do realize that there is a whole culture of people who buy or build boxes to crunch, Linux boxes, etc. But, I believe that it is a small sub-culture, not the majority.

So, what we need is some sort of general convention (agreement, not a meeting) which says, GPU yes or GPU no, up to the user, for any project that accepts GPU processing.

Then and only then will the whole idea make any sense.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by mitrichr at Apr 28, 2011 4:15:19 AM]
[Apr 28, 2011 4:12:28 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

ATI vs NVidia when the smoke clears, there will be answers, until then the "bleeding edge" bleeds........
[Apr 28, 2011 7:16:03 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
petnek
Advanced Cruncher
Czech Republic
Project Badges:

Come on IBM guys, give it a shot. I have 2 Asus ATI HD4670 in crossfire doing mostly nothing , that's 640 stream units on idle most of the time I'm not playing 3D games or watching H.264, VC-1 or MPEG-2 (DVD) movies, OpenCL is not fully supported for ATI 4xxx but still is has some dupport besides AMD has a developer site with lots of resources in case you didn't know, but you must have know I think. There is already a no very good implementation Folding@Home GPU Client, most users don't complain but I get BSOD sooner or later and I'm tired of it after 30+ of them, and you need to manually set parameters is really not well done, so how about you give it a shot?

I have also HD4670 but only one. If I computing Folding@Home with oc on this card, I never have BSOD. You can working on Collatz project and one under-project of PrimeGrid. Our card does not support double-precision, that's why we can not compute MilkyWay.

[Apr 28, 2011 7:37:54 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

You might also find (As I have) that using the GPU causes.. Complications. I have my GPU's (ATI's and Nvidia's) hooked up to collatz and primegrid. My GPU's account for 98% of all the computing power that I have. That said the BOINC support (and the graphics driver support) are not very good. A lot of programs (namely games) crash and lock up while running the GPU applications and I get about 1 BSOD a day. Ive also had hardware die due to overworking, just recently a new $300 power supply and an old 9500gt failed shortly after hooking them up too these GPU projects. The PSU failed because the Graphics was pulling more power than the PSU could supply, even though its service life was a 2 year gaming machine. I would hate to see WCG support wane due to peoples systems failing in similar ways.

At the moment the GPU side seems to cause a lot of problems and WILL lead to loss of important data (in my opinion) because of bad code and it being a new technology. That said I am still willing to have my computers running something (collatz and primegrid are not very important in the grand scheme of things). GPUgrid is a nice idea but all the workunits I can get are the 60-90 hour ones and using the CAL/CUDA drivers my computers are far too unstable and tend to corrupt work units :'(

Adding GPU projects at this time would most likely cause system failures in my opinion so they would have to be opt-in

The thing that most annoys me is that the projects that I have used all use 100% of the GPU and you cannot game on the machine while they run.. Ill stop raging now :)
[Apr 28, 2011 8:08:39 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
petnek
Advanced Cruncher
Czech Republic
Project Badges:

You have ATI GPU and nVidia GPU in the same PC? There is a lot of problems with this solution, but in my team (Czech National Team) is more than one people where this configuration has and it working good without BSODs and errors. But there was a lot of time with configurations and driver troubles.

[Apr 28, 2011 10:26:38 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

No, I have different cards in different computers.
[Apr 28, 2011 10:46:19 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Coleslaw
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

If your card killed the power supply due to over draw, then someone didn't do their homework when building or upgrading their system. You always need to build according to appropriate power consumption which means for crunching you need to make sure you have enough for full power draw. I would advise getting a power supply that has excess and is high efficiency. That also means not buying the cheapo power supplies.

[Apr 28, 2011 11:22:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread