Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 106
Posts: 106   Pages: 11   [ Previous Page | 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
This topic has been viewed 52657 times and has 105 replies Next Thread
alver
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Welcome to the Drug Search for Leishmaniasis (DSFL) project

Excellent to see a new project start - it seems like a long time since the last one. Also pleased to see it's a 'small molecule drug discovery' one - my favourite type. I'll be in with 13 cores (100% for a while at least), just as soon as I reach 10Y on HFCC, which should be by the end of next week. Looking forward to starting. Good work everyone.
----------------------------------------

(previously known as 'proxima' on SETI, UD, distributed folding, FaD, and Rosetta)
[Sep 6, 2011 8:32:18 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
jimolson3
Cruncher
Project Badges:
confused Re: Welcome to the Drug Search for Leishmaniasis (DSFL) project

Can I ask a dumb question? I have been crunching for years, but have never uncovered the ability to order the computing of tasks. smeyer55 indicated:

Mine are due the 10th and are estimated at 7hours run time.
Pushed them up so they are running. The first one took about 1/2 hour to get to 9% done.

I generally don't care about order, but sometimes my tasks get close to report deadline and I want to get them done before they expire. BOINC seems to pick the tasks at random, and definitely not by report deadline.

Thanks!
[Sep 8, 2011 5:17:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Can I ask a dumb question? I have been crunching for years, but have never uncovered the ability to order the computing of tasks. smeyer55 indicated:

Pushed them up so they are running. The first one took about 1/2 hour to get to 9% done.

I generally don't care about order, but sometimes my tasks get close to report deadline and I want to get them done before they expire. BOINC seems to pick the tasks at random, and definitely not by report deadline.

Thanks!
I have seen this situation come up and I do two things to help insure the WUs are executed in the order I want:
First, I keep the "Additional work buffer" days set to a small enough value (one I feel comfortable with) to allow me to access all of the WUs in the queue relatively easily.
Second, when I see WUs I want to have executed more quickly, I suspend all those "Ready to start" that are before the one I want to run immediately and then I suspend one of the ones "Running". This will cause the one I want to run to start immediately. I then go back to the WUs I suspended and "Resume" those WUs.

Note that all of the things I listed in the second item must be done in the correct order. If there is more than one you want to start running, then you will need to suspend as many running WUs as needed to get the ones you want to run running.
[Sep 8, 2011 5:51:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
jimolson3
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Thanks!
I have seen this situation come up and I do two things to help insure the WUs are executed in the order I want:
First, I keep the "Additional work buffer" days set to a small enough value (one I feel comfortable with) to allow me to access all of the WUs in the queue relatively easily.
Second, when I see WUs I want to have executed more quickly, I suspend all those "Ready to start" that are before the one I want to run immediately and then I suspend one of the ones "Running". This will cause the one I want to run to start immediately. I then go back to the WUs I suspended and "Resume" those WUs.

Note that all of the things I listed in the second item must be done in the correct order. If there is more than one you want to start running, then you will need to suspend as many running WUs as needed to get the ones you want to run running.

dkt -
Makes sense to me. I'll follow your suggestions. However, I'm guessing that following #1 will likely make #2 less necessary. I had cranked up my queue in the past when I was expecting intermittent connectivity and didn't want to run out of work.

Thanks so much for the quick response!! biggrin
[Sep 9, 2011 9:56:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:

jimolson3, welcome to the forum, albeit after 6years. Glad to hear you at least read some threads in that time.

I find setting a "switch between applications every" to a high number (990), forces running tasks to continue running to completion, usually. So if you force a task to start, it should also complete wink

PS. Remember to resume tasks tongue

Good luck,
[Sep 9, 2011 10:19:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mfbabb2
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Boinc Manager will start tasks in a FIFO (first-in, first-out) order unless a dead-line will be missed, then it goes into panic mode. It will also partially start several about to be overdue tasks and cycle between them (assuming you will get credit if just a bit late, so as not to be server aborted for past due and not started).

This is my experience and is not to be taken as Boinc Gospel.
----------------------------------------
Murphy

[Sep 9, 2011 10:20:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 106   Pages: 11   [ Previous Page | 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread