Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 38
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 74986 times and has 37 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
HTTP error 0 and BOINC 6.12.34

Hi,

as reported in this message , my host, with BOINC 6.12.34 installed, can't connect to WCG, every communication attempt resulting in a "HTTP error 0" message.

I tried uninstalling BOINC 6.12.34 and reverting to BOINC 6.10.60 and everything with WCG went back OK.

Then I uninstalled BOINC 6.10.60 and reinstalled 6.12.34 and the issue reappeared.

I also tried with BOINC 6.13.1 (beta) but this didn't fix the issue.

Currently, I reverted once again to 6.10.60, but it looks like the issue is related to BOINC 6.12.34, WCG and (possibly) the way I communicate to the Internet, though I tried with my standard Internet proxy and TOR, none of which gives me problems with other projects.
Also, I don't get any such issue with other BOINC-projects while running BOINC 6.12.34.

I posted this message on BOINC support forum as well.

Bye

darkpella

darkpella
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Sep 17, 2011 8:30:44 AM]
[Sep 17, 2011 8:29:40 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: HTTP error 0 and BOINC 6.12.34

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know. Neither 6.12 or 6.13 are tested by WCG. 6.13 is very much alpha, light-years away from beta. That one was probable to fail as the certificate handling was changed [disabled is my reading]. All project managers got an email from the developers on that.

Had missed to hear of 6.10.60 before. Need to check what the changes were from 6.10.59

And they are:
BOINC 6.10.60 released for Windows and Linux.

Change Log:

Linux: Project list issue in the attach wizard that lead to a crash.
SCR: Follow the Mac's lead and gracefully exit the Data Management thread. Preserve the handle to take more drastic actions should that not work.
SCR: Fix compile breaks.

--//--
[Sep 17, 2011 8:44:30 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniel-1
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Hello,

Just writing to let you know that I am having the same problem. I am using Boinc Manager 6.12.34 and I can no longer communicate with World Community Grid (I get the same error message "Scheduler request failed: HTTP error 0"). This only happens when I connect to the internet via a proxy server (I'm using Free Proxy v4.10). When I connect to the internet directly it works fine. The other projects that I'm working on still work fine (even through the proxy).

Best Regards,
Daniel
[Sep 17, 2011 9:01:44 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi,

Had missed to hear of 6.10.60 before. Need to check what the changes were from 6.10.59

And they are:
BOINC 6.10.60 released for Windows and Linux.

Change Log:

Linux: Project list issue in the attach wizard that lead to a crash.
SCR: Follow the Mac's lead and gracefully exit the Data Management thread. Preserve the handle to take more drastic actions should that not work.
SCR: Fix compile breaks.

--//--

Hi SekeRob,

just wrote to point out, 6.10.60 is working fine with WCG. The issue arises with 6.12.34 only.

Bye

darkpella
[Sep 17, 2011 9:16:57 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Curious. I'm running 6.12.34 on Windows, but no proxy. Was it working before with 6.12.34 or had you just upgraded?

WCG recently added a few new IP addresses for download servers [See Start Here forum], so maybe these need adding. Of course WCG is the only project that uses https [secure connection].

--//--
[Sep 17, 2011 9:19:26 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniel-1
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Hello SekeRob,

I agree with darkpella. The problem only seems to occur with version 6.12.34. I just tried installing the previous version (6.12.33) and the problem goes away. I then reinstalled 6.12.34 and the problem is back.

FYI I'm getting the problem on both the 32-bit & 64-bit versions of Boinc Manager for Windows.

Best Regards,
Daniel
[Sep 17, 2011 12:54:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ingleside
Veteran Cruncher
Norway
Project Badges:

Thanks for letting us know. Neither 6.12 or 6.13 are tested by WCG. 6.13 is very much alpha, light-years away from beta. That one was probable to fail as the certificate handling was changed [disabled is my reading]. All project managers got an email from the developers on that.

v6.13.x clients won't fail due to upload-certificate here at WCG, since WCG has already disabled upload-certificates. Upload-certificates must be kept disabled until all work with old-style upload-certificates has finished and WCG has upgraded server-software.

Now, even with upload-certificates being disabled, v6.13.3 would still fail due to other incompabilities, but these incompabilities should be fixed in v6.13.4.

The handling of https is separate from upload-certificates, so a possible problem here can still be present.

As for v6.12.34, I'm not having any problems with this version and WCG, but isn't using a proxy so any possible problems with proxy wouldn't be detected by me.

"I make so many mistakes. But then just think of all the mistakes I don't make, although I might."
[Sep 17, 2011 1:18:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Thanks for testing and confirming. Have duly forwarded this thread to the developer's alpha mail list for review and resolution.

--//--
[Sep 17, 2011 1:24:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:

Getting Boinc Notices to inform people to upgrade from 6.12.33 to 6.12.34 when there are known 6.12.34-only problems is not good advice.

Should Berkeley be telling crunchers from different projects to update Boinc in this way confused
Perhaps Berkeley should suggest people ask at individual projects first - WCG recomends 6.10.58.
What's the point in suggesting to WCG only crunchers to upgrade if the WCG servers are not compatible enough to implement some of the latest Boinc Manager features? The FAQ's would need to be re-written, and WRT the one-way 6.13.x Alphas, some projects recommended settings would need to be changed, and I'm not just talking about the bug-eyed scheduler.
[Sep 18, 2011 1:19:10 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Curious. I'm running 6.12.34 on Windows, but no proxy. Was it working before with 6.12.34 or had you just upgraded?

WCG recently added a few new IP addresses for download servers [See Start Here forum], so maybe these need adding. Of course WCG is the only project that uses https [secure connection].

--//--

Hi SekeRob and grazie per l'attenzione,

I can't tell for sure the problem would not be there with 6.12.33, since the only download I can find for 6.12.x on BOINC homesite is 6.12.34, but I'm pretty sure I had upgraded from 6.12.33 to 6.12.34 a few days before first noticing this issue (Maybe it was there from the very moment I upgraded, but I don't spend my day checking the BOINC client running on my host so I first realized there was a problem when I saw two finished WUs hanging up uploading for days).

BTW, my host runs on windows 7 64 bit and the BOINC release (I know) I'm getting troubles with is 6.12.34 64 bit (should have written this before).

Troublefree release is 6.10.60 64 bit.

Bye

darkpella
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Sep 18, 2011 2:33:08 PM]
[Sep 18, 2011 2:30:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread