Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 24
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 26573 times and has 23 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
If and/or When they send out Beta's for HCC GPU

I sure hope if there are ever any Beta's for HCC GPU that I will get to run some...
Hint-Hint wink

I wonder if there would be any advance notice to prepare for running GPU jobs ?
Also I wonder if it one day becomes reality , if there will be a separate option to opt in or out of GPU processing and if I will be able to run HCC only on GPU and not on CPU ?
It would be cool if I could reserve CPU for other sciences and still do HCC/GPU...

I know i'm just "what if'n" but I can always hope Santa / WCG will bring me some fun new work for my GPU in the coming new year.
Milkyway is OK but I feel like HCC is so much more meaningful... biggrin
[Nov 21, 2011 8:35:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
RT
Master Cruncher
USA - Texas - DFW
Project Badges:
Re: If and/or When they send out Beta's for HCC GPU

The silence is deafening. straight face
What is the best Graphics Card for the upcoming project? confused
----------------------------------------
One of your friends in Texas cowboy
RT Website Hosting

[Nov 22, 2011 4:13:47 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nasher
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

the best card is the one you are currently running... once GPU projects come out you can then buy a better card for less that will give you the best credit..

so save up your money now till the gpu project comes out then buy the right one

[Nov 22, 2011 5:35:59 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:

For Beta's it would probably be more useful to stick to what you have. After the project goes live, and after we are able to tabulate relative performances, then you should start pricing GPU's. Both AMD and NVidia will launch new products within the next few months (and I hear they will be much faster, more energy efficient, and more reliable). So these will be the cards to get. When the price is right (about this time next year).
[Nov 22, 2011 12:57:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
RT
Master Cruncher
USA - Texas - DFW
Project Badges:

Thanks to all of you that responded. I really don't have much at all in graphics cards as I spent all the money on CPUs, MBs and Memory and then just the minimum on everything else. (Most of them are just used for crunching) so I doubt that my GPUs will meet minimum requirements. I certainly do agree with the sentiment that you buy only when you need because the next better thing will be along any moment. Again Thank You.
RT Website Hosting

[Nov 22, 2011 11:24:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Somervillejudson@netscape.net
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Like your hope cash and jobs statement RT as that is well said! I have been buying fairly fast video cards for all my builds but probably one new one will out do all I have for a fraction of the price. Go figure!!!
[Nov 24, 2011 2:05:24 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
RT
Master Cruncher
USA - Texas - DFW
Project Badges:

Like your hope cash and jobs statement RT as that is well said! I have been buying fairly fast video cards for all my builds but probably one new one will out do all I have for a fraction of the price. Go figure!!!

Could be Judson. I don't know to how to compare apples to wing nuts. We will just have to wait and see. sick These things tend to be like various religions; Two different intelligent people can look at the same thing and arrive at different conclusions. The points or credits awarded are sometimes on different scales and rubber rulers are the standard. Like I say, hard to tell.
RT Website Hosting

[Nov 25, 2011 11:47:31 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:

The last generation of GPU's mostly brought girth of function, the next generation is expected to mostly bring performance. This, along with software support, will hopefully facilitate a fuller realization of GPU potential.
[Nov 26, 2011 1:46:03 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Rickjb
Veteran Cruncher
Australia
Project Badges:

RT: "The silence is deafening." - Here's a bit more noise for you.
For general info about crunching on graphics cards, you might start at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPGPU .

To get an idea of the performance/power consumption/purchase cost of current graphics cards, I suggest asking YUSE* for info on these parameters when crunching existing GPU projects outside WCG.
Folding@home
is one example of such projects, password-cracking and Bitcoin mining are others, and the Wikipedia GPGPU entry linked above lists others.
Here are 2 links to comparisons of graphics cards for bitcoin mining:
Mining hardware comparison has excellent tables comparing speeds, performance per Joule, performance per $$, ...
See also: PC Perspective: Bitcoin Currency and GPU Mining Performance Comparison
Check for updates when you are ready to buy.
Unless you have other uses for a high-end card, I would defer purchase until much closer to the launch of GPU HCC. Apart from the possibility of newer better hardware being available then, there should be guidance available on the best cards for the actual project, including the choice of ATI/Nvidia.
HTH

*YUSE = Your Usual Search Engine (it may not be your favourite smile )
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Rickjb at Nov 27, 2011 6:32:18 AM]
[Nov 26, 2011 4:59:56 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mikey
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

Could be Judson. I don't know to how to compare apples to wing nuts. We will just have to wait and see. sick These things tend to be like various religions; Two different intelligent people can look at the same thing and arrive at different conclusions. The points or credits awarded are sometimes on different scales and rubber rulers are the standard. Like I say, hard to tell.

One thing about crunching it is kind of like gaming so any gpu that is good for gaming should work well for crunching too, obviously the faster the better! BUT some projects work better, or are 'optimized' for Nvidia gpu's while others work better with AMD/ATI cards. There are MANY projects out there, I don't know if you are aware of that, but different brands of cards work better on different projects. Right now you can buy a $700 US gpu from either Nvidia or AMD that is top of the line but you can also get a good gpu that will crunch just fine for most projects in the $200 to $300 US range. Again though what is good for one project is not the 'best' for another project. We have to wait and see what WCG is coding for Nvidia or AMD to see which brand card will work best. On MOST projects you can use the other brand, but it is not the path to the most amount of credits or workunits. Of course bigger, more powerful gpu's often require bigger, more powerful power supplies to power them, so it is NOT cheap!

One more thing in Windows you just go to the manufacturers website and download the latest drivers and install them. The default Windows drivers will NOT work, they are not designed for gaming or crunching.

[Nov 27, 2011 2:21:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread