Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10886 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
UncleSocial
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Best way to set up an office full of computers...

Hi there,

I'm new to setups beyond one computer and I was wondering what the best scenario would be for an office.

Will one account and a separate device profile for each computer be the best way to go or this frowned upon?

I'm hoping not as this would allow the office to join a team as a single entity with their results all together rather than setting up accounts for every single computer and then having them all join the team.

Many thanks!
[Mar 4, 2013 10:09:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:
Re: Best way to set up an office full of computers...

Hi there,

I'm new to setups beyond one computer and I was wondering what the best scenario would be for an office.

Will one account and a separate device profile for each computer be the best way to go or this frowned upon?

I'm hoping not as this would allow the office to join a team as a single entity with their results all together rather than setting up accounts for every single computer and then having them all join the team.

Many thanks!

Hi. You can have as many devices as you want attached onto a single account. As for the device profiles, it's your call. You can have half of the computers with one profile running only HCC and the other half with another profile running GFAM or just a single profile for all computers running whichever projects you want.
----------------------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF 4C/8T 3.2 GHz - 85W
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 4C/8T 2.0 GHz - 28W
Intel Z3740 4C/4T 1.8 GHz - 6W
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Falconet at Mar 5, 2013 2:04:40 PM]
[Mar 4, 2013 11:00:20 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UncleSocial
Cruncher
Project Badges:

That's brilliant advice - thanks for your help!
[Mar 4, 2013 11:49:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gomeyer
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

If you have not already done so, step 1 is to confirm that running BOINC/WCG is OK with management.

[Mar 5, 2013 2:33:08 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UncleSocial
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Good tip gomeyer - has anyone ever produced an FAQ on ways to put the minds of IT managers at ease?

It won't be an issue for me but I know it will be for people I'm referring to WCG. At the moment I just direct them to this post about whether WCG will increase electricity usage.
[Mar 5, 2013 9:14:31 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Visit Help and Start Here and search for Security, for that is the worry part. As testimonial, WCG has several hundred partners , some really big institutions, [which like not to be named], and IBM themselves who've got tens of thousands installs... pushed out to the suitable devices on their intranet.

Electricity use goes up by the difference of when the device has to be on anyhow and the utilization of the spare cycles. As I understand from the techs at IBM, it's strictly 9 to 5 organized and when you look at their statistics, you can actually see a considerable dip when the weekend comes. Of course, machines left on on purpose will continue to compute on BOINC if they are scheduled to do so, for instance laptops taken home and powered up [and then the power is not the owners' cost ;>]

There is actually studying on something that will allow BOINCing devices to remain in a lower power consumption states [that devices of the last years have] and still compute, but of course, in a lower power state there will be less computing. Contributing is the idea though, every little bit helps :D

A view posts on the security side:

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=3849
http://wcg.wikia.com/wiki/Security
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/help/viewSearch.do?searchString=security
[Mar 5, 2013 9:38:30 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gomeyer
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

. . .has anyone ever produced an FAQ on ways to put the minds of IT managers at ease? . . .

In addition to what Seke mentioned, there is a Marketing Toolkit that may answer some questions including a "Mass Install Document" addressing your original question.

[Mar 5, 2013 9:50:08 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ErikaT
Former World Community Grid Admin
USA
Project Badges:

. . .has anyone ever produced an FAQ on ways to put the minds of IT managers at ease? . . .

In addition to what Seke mentioned, there is a Marketing Toolkit that may answer some questions including a "Mass Install Document" addressing your original question.

Hello UncleSocial!
As gomeyer suggests, please see the BOINC Mass Install Document for instructions on how to put World Community Grid on multiple computers.

Please let us know if you need additional assistance, and thank you for your support!
[Mar 5, 2013 12:56:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread