Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 65
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 14375 times and has 64 replies Next Thread
Mamajuanauk
Master Cruncher
United Kingdom
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Death Star Build Log (name explained below)

Name of Theard
This was a comment made in this thead , more of a joke than a serious comment! but I liked the name for that reason only I called this thread 'Death Star Build Log'!
Aim of thread
The aim of this thread is to log the various stages of the build of this machine.

I will add a basic log of the build of the dual processor hex core machine I'm building. The Specifications of which are as follows:
    Case - 900d - Full tower, what a monster!
    MB - EGVA SR-2
    CPU - 2 x hex core xeon's (24 threads!)
    PSU Corsair AT1200i
    RAM - Corsair Vengeance red - 16Gb (SR2 max = 48Gb)
    HDD - 300Gb velociraptor (10k, enterprise drive, don't need storage in this system)
    GPU - Radeon HD7770, but may put my 2 x HD7970's in it!
    CPU Cooling - 2 x Corsair H100 Watercoolers

Bench Build/Test
Having not built a dual processor machine before I thought I would 'Play' on the bench first. This will help me get all the components into the MB and ensure they all work together.

So I installed some 'stand-offs' on the back of the board, and looked over the new board and manual (yes, a male looking at the manual!) familiarised myself with the layout of the motherboard.

Then installed (in this order)
    2 x CPU's - Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz
    2 x 8Gb RAM (2x4 in each bank, one bank for each CPU)
    2 H100's for cooling the CPU's
    1 x HD7770 GPU
    a couple of extra fans to move the air around.
    Then connected all the power leads

Following all the checks to ensure everything was in place and as expected, I powered it up! Yes! it worked. So shutdown again, connected the HDD & BR drive. restarted and installed Ubuntu 13.04. all went smoothly.

The Interesting bit is going to be getting this monster in the case with 2 x H100's. In a case that will take them, but where? the H100's come as sealed units and do not have very long hoses on!

Crunching tests
    After updating Ubuntu with all available patches, I installed Boinc, MGM (hardware monitoring utility)

Yes! it worked! With the system proving stable, I left it to crunch for a few days the results are below:
    12/17/2013 		0:012:17:53:57 		53,327 		189
    12/16/2013 0:014:17:21:42 47,459 143
    12/15/2013 0:007:05:29:27 13,286 25

On to the installation in the case next...
    The case!

Well, the case is a monster! The Corsair Obsidian 900D is a full tower case, one of few that will allow the new standard EGVA created with their SR-2 the HPTX

This MB is huge at 13.6 x 15 inches it dwarfs even the XL-ATX which is only 13.5 x 10.3 inches

So to the install
    First, line up the stand-off’s with the surprisingly few on the MB. Remove those that do not line up and install those that are missing. Install nylon stand-off’s where no screw hole is available. I guess this was by design as the nylon stand-off’s were supplied in the MB box.

PSU installation – this fits nicely into the base of the case on it’s side with room for another one! Why I don’t know as this monster will provide 1200 watts! Airflow is provided by cleverly hidden vents in the lower panel of the case, which open for easy access.

With the CPU & RAM already on the MB from the test build on the bench it made it easier. The fun was always going to be how to get both H100’s in the case with the restricted length on the hoses?

Well I managed it by utilising the 4 x fan mounting point in the roof of the case. Specifically by overlapping the radiators and using the fans to make air flow across both at the same time! As seen in the picture below

With the right radiator fitted against the case to the left side of the fourth fan mounting and the left fan fitted to the first fan location this left a level point to install the second radiator to the left fan and the right radiator.

With additional fans on the right and on the left the installation was completed.

Connecting the CPU Water blocks was the next challenge! Well, the only challenge turned out to be how flexible the hose was. With some careful manipulation, they both fitted! Phew!

Installing the HDD was quick and easy in the caddy. I didn’t install the BR drive as it is not required.

That’s pretty much it, I’d like to hear your comments, not specifically on the format of this thread, I’m not a reviewer or someone who writes documentation. I’ve done this as it was suggested some of you may find it interesting…

So far the results are looking good
    12/24/2013 		0:011:23:01:28 		45,146 		151
    12/23/2013 0:006:10:43:24 23,308 75
    12/22/2013 0:013:17:08:50 45,920 159
    12/21/2013 0:000:01:51:52 291 1
    12/20/2013 0:001:15:38:25 4,831 12
    12/19/2013 0:000:19:59:47 4,785 12
    12/18/2013 0:000:10:22:48 1,759 6
    12/17/2013 0:012:17:53:57 53,327 189
    12/16/2013 0:014:17:21:42 47,459 143
    12/15/2013 0:007:05:29:27 13,286 25

While the CPU benchmark is not brilliant, this system does run 24 threads
    Tue 24 Dec 2013 18:48:16 GMT |  | Benchmark results:
    Tue 24 Dec 2013 18:48:16 GMT | | 2013 floating point MIPS (Whetstone) per CPU
    Tue 24 Dec 2013 18:48:16 GMT | | 8973 integer MIPS (Dhrystone) per CPU

I will add to this thread and answer any questions as replies.
----------------------------------------
Mamajuanauk is the Name! Crunching is the Game!

[Edit 7 times, last edit by Mamajuanauk at Dec 24, 2013 6:49:17 PM]
[Dec 23, 2013 9:57:23 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
twilyth
Master Cruncher
US
Project Badges:
Re: Death Star Build Log (name explained below)

I don't know if you had a chance to look at many build logs, but my recollection is that it's customary to take at least one photo of the packaging, the hardware in the packaging and the hardware itself. That's when all the parts come and before you start the build. Multiple pix are of course welcome too.

That's mostly reserved for the main components like cpu, gpu, mobo and memory though.

Once you start the build, a close up shot of the component in the case and a wide view to show where it is oriented in relation to drive bays, PSU etc is a good way to go.

For the CPU, a close up of the socket, cpu in socket, cpu with thermal paste and then with cooler attached is nice. Again multiple shots from different angles/perspectives are welcome if you feel they add something.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by twilyth at Dec 24, 2013 1:38:51 AM]
[Dec 24, 2013 1:37:20 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pmm1018
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Wow... what a brute. That will be a fun build. For lots of picture examples of builds, visit http://pcpartpicker.com/.

My two recent FX-8350 builds are on there. ID = pmm1018.

You've got me thinking it's time for a 3rd build to keep up with you. biggrin

FWIW: I found a 24-thread server on eBay for $670 + HDD & OS.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Poweredge-C1100-...s&hash=item4176aac587

Edit: Added eBay find.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by pmm1018 at Dec 24, 2013 5:35:28 AM]
[Dec 24, 2013 4:18:32 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mamajuanauk
Master Cruncher
United Kingdom
Project Badges:

I don't know if you had a chance to look at many build logs, but my recollection is that it's customary to take at least one photo of the packaging, the hardware in the packaging and the hardware itself. That's when all the parts come and before you start the build. Multiple pix are of course welcome too.

That's mostly reserved for the main components like cpu, gpu, mobo and memory though.

Once you start the build, a close up shot of the component in the case and a wide view to show where it is oriented in relation to drive bays, PSU etc is a good way to go.

For the CPU, a close up of the socket, cpu in socket, cpu with thermal paste and then with cooler attached is nice. Again multiple shots from different angles/perspectives are welcome if you feel they add something.
Thanks for the input, I will be adding photos of the boxes and various shots of the build. However, as many of the components are out of doner machines, boxes are not available. That said, many are available, photo added.

[Dec 24, 2013 1:03:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mamajuanauk
Master Cruncher
United Kingdom
Project Badges:

Wow... what a brute. That will be a fun build. For lots of picture examples of builds, visit http://pcpartpicker.com/.

My two recent FX-8350 builds are on there. ID = pmm1018.

You've got me thinking it's time for a 3rd build to keep up with you. biggrin

FWIW: I found a 24-thread server on eBay for $670 + HDD & OS.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Poweredge-C1100-...s&hash=item4176aac587

Edit: Added eBay find.
Go for it! I love a challenge!!!

Watch this space...

[Dec 24, 2013 1:04:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
twilyth
Master Cruncher
US
Project Badges:

pmm1018: I don't know how those blade servers work, but before you buy one of the blades, I'd make sure that you can use it as is in a standard case with a standard PSU. I'm sure the components can be used, but if you have to buy another mobo, that's at least a couple hundred bucks right there.

If you DO plan to just use it for parts though, that's great. Let us know what the rest of your system will look like in terms of the case, psu, mobo, etc.

And this is just a suggestion, but if you're going to compete with the Death Star build, you'll probably need an appropriate name like maybe Revenge of Alderaan, Rebel Alliance, etc. (just a thought) blushing peace

[Dec 24, 2013 5:12:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mamajuanauk
Master Cruncher
United Kingdom
Project Badges:

pmm1018: I don't know how those blade servers work, but before you buy one of the blades, I'd make sure that you can use it as is in a standard case with a standard PSU. I'm sure the components can be used, but if you have to buy another mobo, that's at least a couple hundred bucks right there.

If you DO plan to just use it for parts though, that's great. Let us know what the rest of your system will look like in terms of the case, psu, mobo, etc.

And this is just a suggestion, but if you're going to compete with the Death Star build, you'll probably need an appropriate name like maybe Revenge of Alderaan, Rebel Alliance, etc. (just a thought) blushing peace
Now that made me laugh! hugs hugs hugs

Is that a challenge? PMM are you going to rise to it?

BTW - My plan is to achieve 50 Years CPU time by the second aniversary of me joining WCG! I'm currently at 24...

[Dec 24, 2013 5:36:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ryan222h
Senior Cruncher

Anyone wants to compete I got a build for you. Sorry it's not named though, does that disqualify me?

[Dec 24, 2013 7:48:31 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mamajuanauk
Master Cruncher
United Kingdom
Project Badges:

Anyone wants to compete I got a build for you. Sorry it's not named though, does that disqualify me?

No name, not a problem!

Ryan - I would be interested in your build, then we can see if it's competition or not...

While I've been building this one, I've also rebuild a couple of HP XW8600 Dual xeon e5450's the Benchmark on these is fantastic!

Bring it on!

[Dec 24, 2013 8:01:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ryan222h
Senior Cruncher

My power crunchers are a dual opteron 6180 build and a quad opteron 6176 build. The quad is an actual server, I just put the CPUs, ram, and HD's in so it's not completely custom built.

How do you propose to compare performance across multiple systems?

I guess my systems are more performance oriented but don't really look all that special. I'll post some pics when I can.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by ryan222h at Dec 24, 2013 8:16:30 PM]
[Dec 24, 2013 8:08:06 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread