Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 14288 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
shanen
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
A server status page would be nice

Finally found a tiny mention of "server status" in the FAQ. What it said was "Not available in foreseeable future!"

So why the exclamation point?

Anyway, this is a good example of why I am configured so that I am currently earning over 2,000 of the mysterious units per day on another project and about 50 per day on WCG. Estimate of 95% donated elsewhere because of the way this (umbrella) project is run.

The projects themselves are nice, but the management seems, shall we say, somewhat insensitive or unresponsive to the contributors. Also prevents me from recommending WCG to other potential donors, by the way and of course.

Today's problem is an old one. I cannot count how many times I've seen variations of it. The WCG server is not sending a fresh work unit. The other project has sent me several work units, but WCG apparently doesn't feel like it. The obvious next step is to see if the servers are working and have any work to send. Maybe it's a network problem on my end?

Oh wait. There is no server status information.

You know, if I were a customer of the sponsoring organization, it might make me wonder whether or not the sponsoring organization is capable of reporting server status. Technical competence and all that stuff... Actually, I know that the sponsoring organization is highly capable of doing it, but it must be a resources problem (but of the kind that makes no sense to me).

So maybe I should just tell WCG not to download any work units for the time being. That seems like the easy "solution". I'll turn it on again next week. Probably.

Let me reiterate the suggestion: Server status page, please.
[Nov 21, 2014 12:40:45 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ErikaT
Former World Community Grid Admin
USA
Project Badges:
Re: A server status page would be nice

Hello shanen,

You can rest assured that a Server Status page is on our 'list' of things we'd love to do! smile However, our first priority is the research projects and their related work units, as well as launching new projects.

We hope to have a server status page in the future...

Thank you for your support!
ErikaT
[Nov 21, 2014 11:52:17 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
cjslman
Master Cruncher
Mexico
Project Badges:

Shanen, I would like to title this reply as "a polite post would be nice". I fully agree with you that server status page would be nice (and is something that is needed), but I have to disagree with the rude and sarcastic tone of your note. If you want something done, you usually ask for it nicely. I was going dissect your note, but decided to keep my response short. So as a suggestion, when asking for a functionality or noting an issue with the process, state the problem or request in the same manner you would like to receive it if you were the recipient of the post.
Have a nice day.

CJSL

Crunching for a better world...
----------------------------------------
I follow the Gimli philosophy: "Keep breathing. That's the key. Breathe."
Join The Cahuamos Team

[Nov 21, 2014 3:04:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
deltavee
Ace Cruncher
Texas Hill Country
Project Badges:

Today's problem is an old one. I cannot count how many times I've seen variations of it. The WCG server is not sending a fresh work unit. The other project has sent me several work units, but WCG apparently doesn't feel like it. The obvious next step is to see if the servers are working and have any work to send. Maybe it's a network problem on my end?

So maybe I should just tell WCG not to download any work units for the time being. That seems like the easy "solution". I'll turn it on again next week. Probably.

shanen, The problem is with your configuration and not with the WCG servers. There is plenty of work available. Good luck with your other projects.
----------------------------------------

[Nov 21, 2014 3:26:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

There's no problem, it's the users that keep micromanaging, which boinc is disgust off wink. In a nutshell, the agent does larger blocks of work processing, which means at times not getting any for one because another project has momentary priority.

The newest agents are actually quite explanatory like 'don't need: Project is not highest priority' or 'don't need: cache is full' and a slew of those whenever the user hits the update button for a seeming reticent project.
[Nov 21, 2014 4:42:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Maybe someone here was exchanging private notes with someone there, such as 'Had enough of this server status page requesting, wcg won't with what is there as code base', as then suddenly this berkeley check-in surfaces

David Anderson [Mon, 1 Dec 2014 04:25:39 +0000]
web: reimplement server status page to support remote daemons

The server status page was one of the oldest and cruftiest parts of BOINC.
It flew in the face of the model/view/controller paradigm,
and had the kind of convoluted structure that beginning programmers
often produce.
Plus it didn't work with remote daemons.

Rather frank i'd say. silly
[Dec 1, 2014 7:12:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I suppose one reason why WCG puts this subject at the bottom of the "toDo" list is that there is rarely anything wrong with the servers, unlike some other Boinc projects! As someone else has pointed out there are many reasons why work is noit downloaded and on the latest Boinc versions it tells you so. But, I find the simplest fix is to detach all projects other than WCG and WUs never seem to stop! laughing
[Dec 2, 2014 8:16:23 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread