Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 35
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7259 times and has 34 replies Next Thread
KLiK
Master Cruncher
Croatia
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
cool Website development suggestions...

Well, I'm amazed that topic like this is not in top 2 pages I've checked...so here is it now, post some suggestions here!

Let me also be the one who starts new suggestions:
1. "making goals" somewhere in "my contribution" - it would establish a goal setting for some users...so open the page & (for my example) put 50y of CPU time, 30M total points, 50k all results...also, on that page active projects cane be opened (drop down menu) so users can enter (my example also) 10y in MCM CPU time, 10M points in MCM research & 15k results in MCM...
after that, a website would (compared to last month/30d) calculate the estimated date of coming to your goals...also, when you GET to your goal - a "celebration mail" of congratulating user come to his mail & also Twitter is also put on his behalf (if Twitter option is synced) - example:
congratulating user coming to his goal of XY years calculating results on project in WCG, /link/.

2. Same thing for TEAMs...but when the captain issues a goal, automatic mail is sent to all members of the team: "Your captain KLiK has issued a new team goal, making it priority to make 50y of CPU time dedicated to MCM project. You can log in on this link & change the preferences for your projects. We politely ask that you also select the option - if no projects are available, send me some other WU.
Thanks, WCG team"
3. on "Additional statistics" make two rows...one for total (the same numbers as now) & one for the last month(30d) of calculating...so we can check how do we compare to total results...
----------------------------------------
oldies:UDgrid.org & PS3 Life@home

non-profit org. Play4Life in Zagreb, Croatia
[Jan 11, 2015 8:19:18 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
jonnieb-uk
Ace Cruncher
England
Project Badges:
Re: Website development suggestions...

Well, I'm amazed that topic like this is not in top 2 pages

Probably because it would be pointless. Countless suggestions have been made over the years. Most of them are ignored, those few that are acknowledged as having some merit are consigned to the black hole known as "the to do list" and rarely, if ever, see the light of day again.

Take for example your suggestions about teams. In the 2013 Member Study: Findings and Next Steps published Aug 19 2013 WCG said:
.....many members feel that teams are not receiving enough attention and support. We hope to address this by:

• Allowing you to compete with similar teams......
  • Giving team captains more control over team leadership ......
  • Standardizing and improving team-level recognition......

Eighteen months later and we're still waiting. Until someone at IBM with the authority to allocate extra resources takes action, maintenance of exisiting research projects and the development of new ones will continue to take precedence over virtually everything else.

[Edit] A quick search for the forum for "wish+list" returns 226 hits

To Join follow this link: Join the UK Team All Welcome! UK Team thread
[Edit 1 times, last edit by jonnieb-uk at Jan 11, 2015 11:46:23 AM]
[Jan 11, 2015 11:38:16 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mamajuanauk
Master Cruncher
United Kingdom
Project Badges:

Goes to add weight to my comments some time ago, when I likened us crunchers to Mushrooms...

Kept in the dark and fed on BS or in this case not fed at all!

Fortunately, I, like many do this for the benefit of humanity not the appreciation and support shown by the ever absent IBM admin team!
Mamajuanauk is the Name! Crunching is the Game!

[Jan 11, 2015 1:21:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
twilyth
Master Cruncher
US
Project Badges:

As I've mentioned elsewhere , WCG needs to find out why so few people stick with the project and then try to remedy the most salient issues. That can't be done by sending out a survey once every 10 years. This needs to be an ongoing process so that when people have an issue and decide to terminate their participation, they can just click a link and be taken to a survey that solicits their opinion and asks them what went wrong and what improvements should be made.

Without that sort of input, we can't even imagine what the primary issues are and therefore have no idea how to fix them.

IBM and WCG could easily enlist the support of people here to help with this. We have no shortage of coders and site designers who I'm sure would be willing to help. But that would require first that WCG make an effort to find out what the issues are and then coordinate the activity of any volunteers. I don't think anyone here sees that happening, ever, let alone anytime soon. But until such an effort is made, participation will continue to decline. In fact it wouldn't be surprising if it starts to decline at an accelerated pace given demographic changes.

[Jan 12, 2015 6:54:37 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
vlado101
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

Even though it has probably been mentioned before what I would love is an extra column in the my contribution that shows the amount of days that you contributed since the last day or last month. Basically the if you crunched a day worth of day that column would have a row that has 1 day and maybe a green arrow if going up or down if it is less or more than your average for that project.

In addition to that an extra column where it would give an estimated percentage of project completion. I know that there is already a research tab, but seeing it in the My contribution page I feel like would be a nice addition.

Judging by the comments that would not be implemented, but wondering if there are people that share my idea.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by vlado101 at Jan 12, 2015 8:03:37 PM]
[Jan 12, 2015 8:00:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
twilyth
Master Cruncher
US
Project Badges:

This feature is already available on some of the stats sites like BOINCstats. Try this . Or this .

[Jan 12, 2015 8:32:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KLiK
Master Cruncher
Croatia
Project Badges:
cool Re: Website development suggestions...

Also, one more add...WCG is put to twitt about my accomplishments...so it does something like that:
https://twitter.com/KLiKzg/status/554219632970956800
suggestion is to make it 28M & 47k results...

This feature is already available on some of the stats sites like BOINCstats. Try this . Or this .

That would be nice, exept BOINCstats is not linked to WCG... :/

[Jan 13, 2015 6:53:30 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
twilyth
Master Cruncher
US
Project Badges:

Not sure what you mean by "linked." BOINCstats reads the XML files that WCG posts a couple of times per day. The only time you can't get all of the stats they have to offer is if you decide to hide your hosts. Otherwise you can get a great deal more information from them than you can get from WCG.

It doesn't really make any sense for WCG to try to replicate stats you can get from other sites.

[Jan 13, 2015 7:34:53 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KLiK
Master Cruncher
Croatia
Project Badges:

Not sure what you mean by "linked." BOINCstats reads the XML files that WCG posts a couple of times per day. The only time you can't get all of the stats they have to offer is if you decide to hide your hosts. Otherwise you can get a great deal more information from them than you can get from WCG.

It doesn't really make any sense for WCG to try to replicate stats you can get from other sites.

check it here:
http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/user/detail/3365722/projectList

:/

[Jan 13, 2015 8:52:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Jan 13, 2015 1:07:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread