Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 32
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 31957 times and has 31 replies Next Thread
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Interested in using Cloud computing

I am interested in using cloud computing free trial at Google for 60 days and Azure Microsoft cloud for 30 days. Of course I would use his accounts not at the same time or maybe I could.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone is using one currently and how it is working out. There are also on the people that are interested in the idea.

I would be looking at using it for the CEP 2 project. I am picking the next would be the better operating system however I am no good at setting one up. If it was set up and as long as Boinc was in the apps that you can search for I would be able to set things up.

I would like to acknowledge i007008 for the idea & KLiK for the cloud hosting companies.
----------------------------------------

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Speedy51 at May 13, 2015 7:06:17 AM]
[May 13, 2015 7:00:18 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
OldChap
Veteran Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:
Re: Interested in using Cloud computing

I looked at a similar idea, that of renting a host. cheapest I found was euro 15 per month for 8 avoton cores plus a setup fee of 20 and VAT on top of that. In UK then that would be £183 per year 1 and £166 per year after that.

Estimate 18.5 Boinc points per hour per core on Vina and Linux.

Just added this for comparison and cost.

[May 13, 2015 7:46:57 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

Thanks OldChap. I would be looking at it from a badge point of view. I would also be interested to know how fast each core is

[May 13, 2015 8:15:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KLiK
Master Cruncher
Croatia
Project Badges:

on Google you get 2,5GHz Xeons...
on Azure you get 2,2GHz Xeons...still trying to make an Android on Azure to crunch data! ;)

also, you can run that for a FREE...later on is about 100€/$ for a dual cores you can get for FREE!
there are some other providers that give FREE cloud computing...

about the setup...just search to make Virtual Machine of Win2008 or 2012...and then download BOINC from original site & setup it for a WCG! ;)
oldies:UDgrid.org & PS3 Life@home

non-profit org. Play4Life in Zagreb, Croatia
[May 13, 2015 9:38:26 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
confused Re: Interested in using Cloud computing

90% of my devices running are small VPS here in there, running BOINC linux: no need of screensavers, nor Windows, nor even a mouse cursor if it's just for crunching.

Depending on which project you want to crunch, you will need more between 256MB and 1GB of RAM (BOINC is only using physical RAM, no vSWAP~), so the "cost" (donation?) can vary from:
10 EUR/year | £8/year | $12/year
to
20 EUR/year | £16/year | $24/year

Once you have your VPS, you will have to set-up a device profile to limit the usage to 60% of max CPU (most providers don't want full usage at all time).

I can do it for somebody, but I'll need their AuthKey?

Or maybe I should write a tutorial?

Or maybe pooling many people's money together, take a big server somewhere, and make a team? (although I like SNURK & Friends~~)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at May 13, 2015 10:18:12 PM]
[May 13, 2015 10:16:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

Thanks for all the advice so far. Jcn10 what projects do you run on your VPS and is this with Google? It would be great if you can write a tutorial for Windows and Linux. (I have no Linux experience) the I am sure there are m any people that will find it useful.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Speedy51 at May 13, 2015 11:12:35 PM]
[May 13, 2015 11:03:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I'm not using Cloud computing (Google, Amazon, etc) because it is still expensive. I'm just using VPS.
Crunching UGM (as you can see my current badge), because low memory is OK.
[May 13, 2015 11:07:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

I'm not using Cloud computing (Google, Amazon, etc) because it is still expensive. I'm just using VPS.
Crunching UGM (as you can see my current badge), because low memory is OK.

I see apologies I never thought to look at your badges. The reason why I mentioned the 2 companies I did is because they come with free credit. I am not interested in paying for such a service

[May 13, 2015 11:17:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

The free cloud computing trials/offers are good to give a boost, but they will wear off at some point.

It's a scalability problem, and I've resolved this one long time ago:
one big & powerful server for a short time VS small but numerous ones for a long time

small but numerous ones for a long time always win!

Cost per year is lower, and you will always have one server online that will do something.

Previously I've suggested the word "donation" instead of "cost". As outlined in this thread already: people are indirectly giving money (electricity bill). Whether you give it from your own resources, or you pay for someone's else resources: financially it is the same.
It is also the enjoyment that you get from it: being able to tell yourself that you have 3 VPS crunching 24/7 at less than £1|$1|1 EUR per month each~.

Some people thrills are: drinking a pint of beer at a bar, buying a lottery ticket, going to a nail bar, eating sweets, reading newspapers, having the latest smartphone, sleeping with many teddy bears, having weekly flowers, tobacco every day, unfinished dinners or bottles, or using the highest quality toilet paper...

For me: it's just having a little computer somewhere in this world that is working on something I want.
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Former Member at May 13, 2015 11:47:52 PM]
[May 13, 2015 11:43:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ChrisR1964
Cruncher
Usa
Project Badges:

Speedy51, I ran the Google Free trial for about 60 days. I was able to spin up four virtual machines (2 cores each) running Ubuntu in almost no time. My free trial has now expired. I believe I was running Mapping Cancer Markers at the time.

After getting the vm setup I ran the following commands on each one to get them running BOINC.

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install boinc-client

sudo /etc/init.d/boinc-client restart

boinccmd --project_attach http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org < insert your Weak Account Key here without the angle brackets >

Your Weak Account Key is found under Settings: My Profile.

That was pretty much it. I then had 8 cores running 24/7 for 2 months.
[May 14, 2015 12:11:49 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread