Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7596 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Why are Mapping Cancer Markers WUs being slighted?

I have kept an eye on this for a while:
It's as if Mapping Cancer Markers WUs are being slighted on my 2CPU laptop.
Currently I have 4 MPMs due 10/25 and 10/26, but BOINC chooses to begin the next in line, a Zika due 10/27. The MCM below also due 10/27 is leapfrogged, and instead an Ebola due on 10/28 is being chosen.

I have tried to and can 'midwife' this disciminating behavior, but it would be nice to know what might lie behind it. Does anyone have an explanation?

[Oct 21, 2017 6:31:14 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Why are Mapping Cancer Markers WUs being slighted?

As I read your post, you're expecting BOINC to schedule the WUs in "Earliest Date First" order. The trouble is, it doesn't work that way. It will switch to that mode if it "panics" -- that is, it starts to think that things won't finish in time -- but normally it simply processes the WUs in the order that they arrived.

The scheduler is actually quite complicated, and it works the way it does in order to try to get the most valid work returned. Frankly, I would say that you don't need to understand all the fine detail, just trust it and let it get on with it.

Hope that helps!
[Oct 21, 2017 8:32:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Why are Mapping Cancer Markers WUs being slighted?

It does.
I was taught first-in first-out in many instances, so you may understand why I wondered.
I'll trust it knows what it does.
Thank you, Apis Tintinnambulator smile

[Oct 21, 2017 9:25:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread