Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1397 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
davidjharder
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Long run time

On my machine Microbiome tasks take 1-4 hrs to complete typically.
But now I have an oddball task that has taken 83 hours and only got to 32% completion. Is this in any way normal? Can I abort this task for being greedy?

A quick search of the forum did not surface anything similar.
[Oct 7, 2019 12:13:22 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Re: Long run time

On my machine Microbiome tasks take 1-4 hrs to complete typically.
But now I have an oddball task that has taken 83 hours and only got to 32% completion. Is this in any way normal? Can I abort this task for being greedy?

A quick search of the forum did not surface anything similar.

My guess is you are using Windows. Exit BOINC, restart your computer and see if the task then progresses normally.
Cheers
----------------------------------------
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Oct 7, 2019 1:19:51 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
davidjharder
Cruncher
Project Badges:

My guess is you are using Windows. Exit BOINC, restart your computer and see if the task then progresses normally.
Cheers

Nope, Linux. Will try a restart.
[Oct 7, 2019 3:02:28 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
davidjharder
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Interesting. The task elapsed time and remaining time are now in line with the completion percentage.

Thanks Sgt. Joe
[Oct 7, 2019 3:38:10 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Cheers

Nope, Linux. Will try a restart.

Interesting. I have experienced this phenomenon with Windows, but never on any of my Linux machines. Evidently, Linux is not as immune to this behavior as I had thought. Glad it worked for you.
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sgt.Joe at Oct 7, 2019 2:22:59 PM]
[Oct 7, 2019 2:22:21 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I have only seen it on Vina but last night I had one MIP1 WU hang like that. It is Linux on a laptop. I have about 2 WUs per day on only that machine that get Computation Errors. I'm letting it run down then it is going to be removed from the environment. I'm going to replace it with an AMD APU...
[Oct 7, 2019 6:13:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I have only seen it on Vina but last night I had one MIP1 WU hang like that. It is Linux on a laptop. I have about 2 WUs per day on only that machine that get Computation Errors. I'm letting it run down then it is going to be removed from the environment. I'm going to replace it with an AMD APU...

Since you mention laptop together with computation errors, I wonder about possible transient overheating. Just a thought.
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Oct 8, 2019 12:01:26 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread