Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 56
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 27668 times and has 55 replies Next Thread
nickoli
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Apple M1 Chip and ARM: Impacts on BOINC and WUs?

Hey All:

The new Apple M1 chip is built on the ARM infrastructure, unlike Intel chips. WCG/BOINC has gone through this beforeā€”I remember when they took stopped making PowerPC Macs.

I see two potential levels where we might have issues: WCG WU compatibility as well as BOINC. That said, Rosetta 2, Apple's emulation software, should take care of a lot of the issues for those who want to crunch using the Apple M1.

What issues do you foresee?
----------------------------------------

[Edit 1 times, last edit by nickoli at Nov 12, 2020 12:14:11 AM]
[Nov 11, 2020 11:45:19 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Danathar
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: Apple M1 Chip and ARM: Impacts on BOINC and WUs?

I'd imagine doing a compile of BOINC and applications to M1 in a vanilla way will be quite easy.

Modifying the BOINC client and science applications to take advantage of the integrated GPU a little harder, and modifying it to take advantage of the Neural Engine cores will be a much harder thing. That might only happen if the BOINC devs and the project devs and scientists think it could provide them with a significant resource.
[Nov 12, 2020 3:15:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
agequodagis
Cruncher
France
Project Badges:

Hi all,

I think that developping better versions of the client, and more projects for ARM architectures should be something really great. First reason, their power efficiency.
I personnaly use a Raspberry Pi 4 in 24/7 mode and it makes the job. Sadly, only Openpandemics project is available on this architecture for the moment.
I hope Apple M1 incoming on the market will grow up the interest on ARM architectures.
[Nov 18, 2020 8:29:56 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
olebole
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I thought both Mapping Cancer Markers and Smash Childhood Cancer were also available for the ARM?
[Nov 18, 2020 11:23:02 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BladeD
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Can't wait to see the numbers!
[Nov 18, 2020 12:31:30 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
agequodagis
Cruncher
France
Project Badges:

I thought both Mapping Cancer Markers and Smash Childhood Cancer were also available for the ARM?

You're right ! But only on Android systems, not on Linux.
And the BOINC Client on Android has no updates since 2016 ! sad
[Nov 18, 2020 1:23:37 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BladeD
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

No problem as long as it's working!
[Nov 18, 2020 1:27:44 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alanb1951
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

The last MCM1 Beta had an ARM Linux version - however, there's been no word since the Beta finished (and we're still on the old MCM1 version on other platforms...)

And when the last SCC1 Beta took place, someone asked about Linux ARM and was told "no" - not that that precludes an ARM version in the future, of course...

Cheers - Al.
[Nov 19, 2020 5:27:30 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bearcat
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Will be getting a new mac mini with the ARM chip. May have to give it a try to see how well it crunches.
Crunching for humanity since 2007!

[Nov 19, 2020 3:12:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread