Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 116
Posts: 116   Pages: 12   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 54742 times and has 115 replies Next Thread
Cyclops
Senior Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
WCG Team Update

Hi everyone!

My name is Cyclops, and I am the new Communications Intern at WCG. For the next 16 months, I will be communicating with you and answering any questions on the web site/forums, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. I am new to the World Community Grid community but I was blown away by the support, ingenuity and unity shared among volunteers. I will also provide information on research team updates, current news from the technical team, and answer all your concerns and collect suggestions.

As a start, I wanted to address by far the biggest concern that the team has been seeing on the forums recently: why is the “migration” taking so long? The move of WCG from IBM to our group at Krembil Research Institute has been a significant undertaking, considering time, people and physical infrastructure. After planning, legal matters, design and setup, we had to reconfigure the system to work on our current hardware, and consider our licensing options. While we did expand our MCM team lightly, we are still a very small academic team. The process has been taking longer than we anticipated; but be assured that we are working hard to ensure WCG will continue accelerating science with your help!

For those wondering why we decided to reopen the website and forums before the WCG BOINC platform, it was to allow volunteers to communicate with each other and not feel neglected by the team. But also, you are now helping us to find additional bugs and missing images and improve the system; so thank you for powering WCG and helping to improve it. Once we restart the BOINC, we trust you will help us to catch any remaining issues.

Thank you for your patience! Thank you for your support!

Cyclops and the WCG Team
[Jun 29, 2022 1:13:07 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
PecosRiverM
Veteran Cruncher
The Great State of Texas
Project Badges:
Re: WCG Team Update

Thanks..

coffee
cowboy
----------------------------------------

[Jun 29, 2022 1:15:54 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Robokapp
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

welcome. what sort of communication can we expect moving forward?
[Jun 29, 2022 1:50:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike.Gibson
Ace Cruncher
England
Project Badges:

Welcome, Cyclops.

The burning question is when can we start work again? We have had several over-optimistic predictions but are now in limbo.

An approximation would suffice.
[Jun 29, 2022 2:12:51 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Cyclops
Senior Cruncher

welcome. what sort of communication can we expect moving forward?

Thank you, while our methods of communication will probably be the same (forum announcements, articles, social media posts, etc.), once the BOINC platform restarts we will have more time and resources to focus on the community.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Cyclops at Jun 29, 2022 2:27:56 AM]
[Jun 29, 2022 2:24:56 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Once we restart the BOINC...

Interesting phrasing. It reminds me of "The Borg" from Star Trek - The Next Generation. I did notice the use of "the BOINC platform" in a previous statement, so maybe there was just the absence of the word "platform."
So, keep communicating and don't be afraid to clue us in on the technical details to the best of your ability.
Thank you.
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Jun 29, 2022 3:30:27 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Unixchick
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

Welcome Cyclops. I'm glad the team has a communications person. I hope you have a fun internship, and that we aren't too hard on you. As someone said in a post earlier. our eagerness and enthusiasm are because we have enjoyed being a part of WCG and are very ready to get back to it.
[Jun 29, 2022 4:58:05 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
stopcancer
Cruncher
Project Badges:

[Jun 29, 2022 6:15:15 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
DaveW
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Hi Cyclops, good to have you on the team & all the best. Work restart I'm sure will happen in good time & when it's ready. Let me know when I need to blow the dust off the tablets.
[Jun 29, 2022 8:05:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
biini
Senior Cruncher
Finland
Project Badges:

Hi Cyclops. What are the chances for WCG projects never resuming?

rtx, xeon, i9, ryzen, rnd laptops
dAM0NES 1991 ppl interested in beer, amigas or electornic music
[Jun 29, 2022 10:30:19 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 116   Pages: 12   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread