Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 27
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 26815 times and has 26 replies Next Thread
dgjohnston@accesscomm.ca
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
MCM tasks reseting to zero

Whenever a task for MCM is running it will reset to zero (restart the task) whenever I lock the screen or after it executes for a few minutes. I have to abort the tasks which is wasting a lot of cycle the project could benefit from.
I'm also running OpenPandemics COVID 19 and they run fine.

I'm running macOS Monterey 12.5.1 on a MacBook Pro with the Apple M1 Max chip.
[Aug 31, 2022 11:18:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:
Re: MCM tasks reseting to zero

Sorry to bother you, is this any different from this post? If not, then why start a whole new thread?

PS My search term was just "m1". devilish
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by adriverhoef at Aug 31, 2022 11:52:34 PM]
[Aug 31, 2022 11:49:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dgjohnston@accesscomm.ca
Cruncher
Project Badges:

No bother at all. Yes, I read through that post and it was related to tasks that were running for many hours and not finishing; with the time showing many hours. And the only entries on M1 and the "reseting" of the tasks to zero were the last two entries. The second of the two entries indicating that the tech response was "doesn't happen often enough". I wanted this thread to highlight the "reseting to zero" as opposed to running for many hours and not reseting to zero. Also hopefully it adds to the case that "this is happening too often" and the MCM group is losing out on cycles from folks that are just removing that task from the project.
[Sep 1, 2022 6:52:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dgjohnston@accesscomm.ca
Cruncher
Project Badges:

The "Africa Rainfall Project" is working without reseting.
[Sep 6, 2022 4:27:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TPCBF
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

The "Africa Rainfall Project" is working without reseting.
Well, it is a completely different science, doing completely different type of computation, there just isn't any way to compare ARP1 to MCM1 (or any other project within WCG)....

Ralf

[Sep 6, 2022 4:52:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pakunoda
Cruncher

I noticed this resetting problem today (maybe it started when I migrated my datas to another mac a few days ago - would Monterey be the cause as other users stated?).
MCM tasks would go back to zero after reaching 1.8% or something while OpenPandemics would go to completion.
Then I ran a CPU benchmark because I noted the OpenPandemics tasks remaining time didn't seem realistic.
Guess what: MCM tasks run normally after that.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by pakunoda at Sep 14, 2022 6:40:17 PM]
[Sep 14, 2022 6:37:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dgjohnston@accesscomm.ca
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I tried running the CPU benchmark but unfortunately the MCM tasks still reset to zero after a short while.
[Sep 16, 2022 4:19:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jeff Wade
Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Any news on this resetting to zero issue?
It's been happening on my macbook for a couple weeks now... it's upsetting that all that computing is just going down the drain!

My Windows PC seems to be processing OK... just the macbook is having an issue. I'm running Monterey 12.5.1.

I tried running CPU benchmarks, but it did not help. I've rebooted. I've restarted BOINC. No dice.

Ideas? Does anyone know if the MCM project people are working on this issue, since it seems to be just an MCM issue?

Thanks for any info! :-)
[Sep 20, 2022 2:37:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jeff Wade
Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Interesting update on this...
10 out of 12 of my MCM tasks are resetting to zero.
2 of them seem to be running OK... so far are at over 1 hr of processing time...
[Sep 20, 2022 4:13:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

I tried running CPU benchmarks, but it did not help. I've rebooted. I've restarted BOINC. No dice.
Interesting update on this...
10 out of 12 of my MCM tasks are resetting to zero.
2 of them seem to be running OK... so far are at over 1 hr of processing time...

It sounds as if there is a certain threshold that needs to be taken crossed, but it's just a guess.
Have you tried the suggestion in post 672365 from 13 February 2022, Jeff?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by adriverhoef at Sep 20, 2022 5:44:23 PM]
[Sep 20, 2022 5:42:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread