Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 977 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Clearcomms
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Software won't install

I run Windows 11 64-bit - latest version.
I used to run the BOINC software till last year, when it ceased to function properly. I tried to reinstall it, couldn't, and requests for help went unanswered, so I stopped contributing.

I have just tried again to re-install it, and can't. I download the file without problems, and then start the installation process. However after a few moments, it announces it can't find the msi file. When I check the location where the file ought to be, it isn't there.
How can I get the programme to install, please?
Doug Revell
[Feb 13, 2023 10:53:18 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bfmorse
Senior Cruncher
US
Project Badges:
Re: Software won't install

You never indicated which version of BOINC you were attempting to install.
I usually download and install the appropriate version from here;

https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php .

You may need to log in as administrator.
[Feb 13, 2023 3:20:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Grumpy Swede
Master Cruncher
Svíþjóð
Project Badges:

It's a known issue with missing msi file.

Check this thread at the BOINC message board, and especially the solution Richard Haselgrove provides, which is the right way to do it:
Error installing BOINC

The issue is, as Richard writes: "The problem is that Windows thinks that BOINC is still installed, and is trying to find the old installation package - but somebody or something has 'cleaned' that up, so it can't be found."

Besides a search on the BOINC message board for the problem, there are tons of other sites where this "missing msi" issue is talked about, and the solutions are also given. A simple google search will find many such sites.
----------------------------------------

[Edit 4 times, last edit by Grumpy Swede at Feb 13, 2023 5:56:13 PM]
[Feb 13, 2023 5:47:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TPCBF
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I run Windows 11 64-bit - latest version.
My sincere condolences...
I used to run the BOINC software till last year, when it ceased to function properly. I tried to reinstall it, couldn't, and requests for help went unanswered, so I stopped contributing.
Well, you posted ONCE, back in October, likewise with very little to go by and didn't answer any of the multiple posts/questions you got as a response...
I have just tried again to re-install it, and can't. I download the file without problems, and then start the installation process. However after a few moments, it announces it can't find the msi file. When I check the location where the file ought to be, it isn't there.
How can I get the programme to install, please?
Doug Revell
Not likely a WCG or even BOINC problem, but most likely an issue with your ant-virus/malware and/or insufficient permissions...

Ralf

[Feb 13, 2023 7:40:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Clearcomms
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Thanks for the reply.
The latest version, newly downloaded from the site.
[Feb 15, 2023 9:46:25 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Clearcomms
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Thank you for responding.
I didn't see any of the multiple posts you refer to - and I did look! Probably my fault.
It isn't an anti-virus etc issue - I think GrumpySwede above has the answer.
[Feb 15, 2023 10:17:02 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Clearcomms
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Thank you for a very helpful reply, which I think diagnoses the problem.
Unfortunately Richard's excellent solution won't work for me, as the site won't let me look at the details of what I uploaded as it was too long ago.
But I am sure one of the more complex methods will work, so I will try some today.
Thanks again
[Feb 15, 2023 10:20:51 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Grumpy Swede
Master Cruncher
Svíþjóð
Project Badges:

@Clearcomms

If you were running other BOINC projects with the same computer at the time, you could look at the computer details on those projects, to find out which version you were running, and download it, and perform the "Repair" installation, and after that install the latest version.

Other BOINC projects, use the "normal" BOINC" interface, on their websites, and there is an option to see the computer details, on their "Account" pages/"Computers on this account".That's an option WCG does not have unfortunately on this site. However, if you send a mail to WCG support, with the name of the computer in question, it's possible that they can peek into their BOINC server, and see which version of BOINC you had installed.

Otherwise, If you are comfortable with the Windows Registry, you can search in the registry for "BOINC", and if that computer had BOINC installed, it's likely that the version can be found in the registry (Sub keys to BOINC. or Install/Uninstall keys). Don't mess with the registry though, if you're not comfortable with it. Making mistakes could brick your entire windows installation.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Grumpy Swede at Feb 15, 2023 11:57:10 AM]
[Feb 15, 2023 11:38:45 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread