Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 21
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 16861 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
Tomahawk4196
Advanced Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Donations - please help via social media

Anyone with facebook or twitter accounts:

Please notify all followers on facebook and twitter that WCG needs at least 1,000 small donations, at $5 or $10 each, here:

https://support.uhnfoundation.ca/site/Donatio...p;set.SingleDesignee=2001

Be sure to select "World Community Grid", then "Other', if you want to give $5 or $10.

Thank you !!

----------------------------------------

[Mar 18, 2023 12:30:29 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Kirel2
Advanced Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:
Re: Donations - please help via social media

That link is broken due to the forum shortening it, you can access the donation page via this tinyurl: https://tinyurl.com/2r32yxkf

[Mar 18, 2023 8:06:08 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Tomahawk4196
Advanced Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

To anyone who works for a company: Please ask your company's owners to consider making a donation, or setting up a sponsorship.
Here is the email I sent to my company's owners:

Dear Owners:

One of my hobbies is helping to fight cancer and other diseases, by setting up my home computers to work on various protein modeling problems.

The effort is called Distributed Computing, where large datasets are broken up into millions of small ‘work units’ that get sent out to volunteer computers to analyze (for some hours or days), then those work units get returned for aggregation.

This method gives university labs free access to super-computer level of computational power, while also allowing volunteers (many of whom have personal experience with cancer) to directly participate in the fight.

Since 2007, I have been involved with the World Community Grid: https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/about/about.s

As the website outlines, for their first 18 years, they were operated by IBM, but in 2021, they transferred the operation to the Krembil Research Institute at Toronto Western Hospital.

Unfortunately, the transfer has been bumpy and slow, primarily due to lack of funding. There are currently over 100,000 people volunteering their computer time, so these days we are trying to get just 1,000 of them to donate $5 or $10 each month – to set the pace, I personally donate $50 per month.

Can <our company> consider making a contribution, or even becoming a sponsor?

Thank you, sirs

Please ask whomever you can for donations, thanks for your time.

[Mar 20, 2023 5:36:40 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BobbyB
Veteran Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

OK! So I'm in for $100.

Any way of finding out how this is going like a thermometer type widget to show progress.

If you are from Canada and give $15+ then you get a tax receipt. I presume this would apply to the US also.

Charitable Organization Number: 12386 4068 RR0001
[Edit 1 times, last edit by BobbyB at Mar 21, 2023 3:04:48 PM]
[Mar 21, 2023 2:57:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bfmorse
Senior Cruncher
US
Project Badges:

I sent an email to UHN Foundation with just that question and received the following reply:
Thank you for reaching UHN Foundation.

Unfortunately, your online donation is not tax deductible in the United States. If you wish to receive a US tax receipt, you may call the Foundation and we can take your donation over the telephone. A US tax receipt would be issued to you in 10 business days. To reach the Foundation, please call toll-free at 1-877-846-4483 or local: 416-603-5300. Our office hours, Monday to Friday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm (EDT).

Best regards,
Sheryl

[Mar 22, 2023 2:07:54 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BobbyB
Veteran Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

They really are not doing themselves a favour.

First they don't do third party like Paypal. I really don't like posting my CC info online unless absolutely necessary as in I really REALLY want to buy that thing. It took me a while to decide to do it.

Second now they are cutting themselves off from the US. They can do US tax receipts but you need to call. When using the CC method you have to give your country. They know this. OK! So the CA receipt is an automatic. All Sheryl has to do is scan the donations and manually send a US tax receipt to US citizens. Or better: have the automation scan the country then decide.

Maybe we should send them this thread.

I have a prediction but will keep it to myself.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by BobbyB at Mar 22, 2023 3:29:12 PM]
[Mar 22, 2023 3:26:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BobbyB
Veteran Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

Donations are taken in CA dollars so: 10 CAD = 7.80 USD = 6.0 GBP = 6.8 EUR (approx)
[Mar 22, 2023 4:08:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sptrog1
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

I have written a letter to the board of directors of UHN and sent it through the Foundation website as I couldn’t find a proper address for them. I hope it reaches them. I suspect that Dr. Jurisca can clear up any discrepancies.
I would be glad to post it on the forum somewhere.
[Mar 23, 2023 1:44:14 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BobbyB
Veteran Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

Here sounds good. Doubt your letter will make it to the board of directors.

I wrote them also (replied to the receipt email) but only mentioned what I said above.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by BobbyB at Mar 23, 2023 1:39:37 PM]
[Mar 23, 2023 1:36:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sptrog1
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

Letter is in Recovery Update under News as a response to Grumpy. Not in Jokes as I had suggested.
[Mar 23, 2023 8:52:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread