Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 18
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 15065 times and has 17 replies Next Thread
Cyclops
Senior Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
The World Community Grid is restarting tomorrow!

Hello everyone,

With the improvements to our storage system and multiple projects sending out work units, the alpha testing phase ended and the World Community Grid is officially restarting on April 13.

We do have a plan to continue fixing known (and any new) issues, as we will continue to work on back-end stability and performance improvements. This thread contains all of the issues we are aware of as of today.

We would like to once again thank all of the volunteers who remained active during the testing period for their immense dedication to the platform. Your support was instrumental for keeping the science on the World Community Grid alive. Thank you also for assisting us in finding bugs and providing constructive feedback.

Once again, thank you for your generous support. Together, we will make a healthier world.

WCG team
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Cyclops at Apr 14, 2023 5:17:08 PM]
[Apr 12, 2023 10:13:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:
Re: The World Community Grid is restarting tomorrow!

This is fantastic news. I am just curious as to why "WCG need your help urgently!"? Quoted from the post on Facebook.
Edit I hope people are going to be able to work on projects they want to. For me I haven't been able to get work for one project that I would like to contribute too, fortunately for WCG I am contributing to another project that I like..

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Speedy51 at Apr 12, 2023 11:06:17 PM]
[Apr 12, 2023 10:38:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bfmorse
Senior Cruncher
US
Project Badges:

Thanks for the update! :)

Status on the other projects:
ARP1?
HSTB?
SCC?

BTW, I still have not seen any replies to emails sent to "support" since your previous comment on the issue.
[Apr 12, 2023 10:40:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:

This is fantastic news. I am just curious as to why "WCG need your help urgently!"? Quoted from the post on Facebook.

I assume they mean financial donations.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF 4C/8T 3.2 GHz - 85W
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 4C/8T 2.0 GHz - 28W
Intel Z3740 4C/4T 1.8 GHz - 6W
[Apr 12, 2023 10:41:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TPCBF
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Once again I have to question the wisdom to make such an announcement, which given the bare facts seems rather premature... sad

Ralf

PS: I will provide some of the details as to WHY I think this is premature in the thread you linked...

[Apr 12, 2023 10:53:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

I assume they mean financial donations.

Could be however I took it to mean computing power because of their next sentence "If you are already contributing your computing resources, we thank you. If you haven’t yet, you can sign up at: https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org." then they go on to say about donations

[Apr 12, 2023 10:53:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hchc
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Oof. Good luck. I think the known issues of:

1) New devices taking multiple days/weeks to show up;
2) Transient HTTP upload/download errors; and
3) Backlog of 2022 statistics that are not visible (in other words, lots of database work still needs to be done)

are show-stoppers to launching WCG.

When thousands of new or existing users think there's a green light and the system crashes again, it's going to be yet another black eye.
  • i3-8100 (Coffee Lake, 4C/4T) @ 3.6 GHz
  • i5-4590 (Haswell, 4C/4T) @ 3.3 GHz
  • E5800 (Wolfdale, 2C/2T) @ 3.2 GHz

[Edit 1 times, last edit by hchc at Apr 12, 2023 11:19:32 PM]
[Apr 12, 2023 11:18:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TPCBF
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Oof. Good luck. I think the known issues of:

1) New devices taking multiple days/weeks to show up;
2) Transient HTTP upload/download errors; and
3) Backlog of 2022 statistics that are not visible (in other words, lots of database work still needs to be done)

are show-stoppers to launching WCG.

When thousands of new or existing users think there's a green light and the system crashes again, it's going to be yet another black eye.
+1

Ralf

[Apr 12, 2023 11:36:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Grumpy Swede
Master Cruncher
Svíþjóð
Project Badges:

Well, with so many problems still not solved, like the last weekends true show-stopper transient HTTP errors, as soon as ARP and OPNG, are available at the same time, I'd say this announcement is very much premature.

If this announcement now makes thousands of people come back to WCG, it can end really bad, with yet another big crash, that will last for another month.

I can only hope I'm wrong, and wish the team the best of luck.

[Apr 12, 2023 11:57:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Robokapp
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

so, what changes can we expect between present and tomorrow?
[Apr 13, 2023 12:10:59 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread